CFL Nostalgia!

Any sort of fluorescent Light fittings, lamps, CFLs basically anything that has a fluorescent tube! Any experiments or basically any info or help anyone needs post it here!
AngryHorse

CFL Nostalgia!

Postby AngryHorse » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:26 am

So, Saturday morning I dug out my big box of CFLs, and got all nostalgic about them! ;cheers
And as a result I’ve started to re-fit them again around the house! ;wh , I now have my original Philips 18 watt Genie that was on the landing before I tested the 20 watt CMH back in, the exact same lamp!
I’ve removed both the 10 watt Megaman LED in the bathroom for two 11 watt RING twin tube CFL, and as I’ve got boxes of 20 watt versions of Osram, Status and GE, I may reinstate those back into the kitchen lights!
It kind of cool to see the pre-heat starts and the tiny banding on the tubes again, and the after glow of them when they turn off! :mrgreen:
Welcome to OBLIVION
Danny
Site Admin

Re: CFL Nostalgia!

Postby Danny » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:44 am

I do miss seeing CFLs about!
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:56 am

I still use them in table lamps ect.
My DIY 16 and 28w 2D adapters are still in their original lamps too.
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:19 pm

The Genie is actually a better colour than the Philips LED that was there originally!, and it’s 360 degree light instead of the LEDs downward facing only output, the landing looks better already!
Going from 10 watt LED in the bathroom to 11 watt CFL is only a slight drop in lumens, but I had to bathroom too bright anyway!

As for the 20s, I need to change the lamp holders in the kitchen back to BC before I can start using them, I’ve tried ES/BC adapter’s, but given the length of the 20s, they hang down too much in them and look naff.
Welcome to OBLIVION
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:47 pm

That uneven light distribution is why I held off using retrofit LED lamps until LED filament lamps became available and even then only when coated ones started to appear.
In fact the frosted LED filament lamps are pretty much indistinguishable from a real incandescent imo. Just not quite there with the colour though.
Oliver

Postby Oliver » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:21 pm

I always liked CFLs tbh, especially when they would get a load of blackening on them and still work lol. The older ones were especially interesting like the ones that had preheat start - they lasted AGES. I do miss seeing them around like I used to.
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:40 am

It seems you can still get the Philips ones in 11 and 20 watt from Toolstation?
Welcome to OBLIVION
Nick217

Postby Nick217 » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:59 am

There still about but you have to look a little harder
Flurofan96

Postby Flurofan96 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:15 am

I've had a massive success with finding all of the superb CFLS from car boot sales, charity shops and even FB Marketplace sellers. I am no ways slowing down on collecting CFLS even the Philips Genies (I want more 18W quad turn tube ones) because CFLS were my childhood
dor123

Postby dor123 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:08 pm

Here in Israel, you can find only generic CFLs from: Nepton (Orout Haamakim), Sunlight (NISKO), Hyundai and Semicom (Semicom Lexis), and Flash (Flash Lighting).
You must, and I meant MUST, burn them base-down, in order to squeeze long life from them, as most of them burns their ballast at base-up.
I love see run-up and hot restrike of HID lamps, mainly on timed ignitors, and spectra of metal halide lamps.

Return to “Fluorescent Lighting”