Coughtrie BB.15 Bulkheads

For incandescent lighting
Beta 5

Re: Coughtrie BB.15 Bulkheads

Postby Beta 5 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:40 pm

Indeed glass is much more durable, especially with the heat of a GLS - I've seen several supposedly 100W rated GLS bulkheads with brown burn marks in the covers from running a 100W lamp continuously!

They only came in GLS I think Kev, though 50W MBF, SON or 18W SOX would have been pretty cool in these! A 35 or 70W CDM-T would also look rather nice too.
Flurofan96

Postby Flurofan96 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 9:11 pm

This is why I like to use CFLS they allow you to increase brightness whilst keeping in limit of the incandescent wattage plus the cooler operation lessens/stops the chance of such heat damage to fixtures/lanterns even if they are within the rated capacity

And by the size I love how you can easily fit in a low wattage HID light source inside the BB15
dor123

Postby dor123 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:24 am

I hope you use non-integrated (PL) CFLs.
I would only use LED filament lamps and PLs in non-ballasted bulkheads from the following reasons:
1. According to James Hooker's website , incandescent lamps have the longest life at base-up burning position. At other positions, lamp life is greatly shorted. I won't forget my mother former chandelier, with 6 E27 base. Lamps were burned prematurely when chandelier was pointed up (Base down), but as soon as she arranged the chandelier to point down (Base-up), lamps life was significantly increased.
2. CFLs would burn their ballast if operated in enclosed fixtures.
3. With halogens, I think the same case as with incandescents.
4. Regular LED lamps also may burn their LEDs and drivers if operated in enclosed fixtures. Also: I got come to a conclusion that the best compromise position for LEDs and driver lifespan of regular LED lamp, is base-up, as in other positions the LEDs are less cooled.
5. SBMV lamps would cycle in horizontal position, and even not, they have a tungsten filament, so I think the same case with incandescents.
Last edited by dor123 on Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love see run-up and hot restrike of HID lamps, mainly on timed ignitors, and spectra of metal halide lamps.
Beta 5

Postby Beta 5 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:35 am

CFLs always seemed to do alright in these, they are big bulkheads so don’t build up too much heat with CFL.
Incandescents I’ve used base down in this have always had an acceptable life, generally reaching around their 1000h rating, sometimes a little less, with the usage they had.

You might get away with an SBMV when the fitting is wall mounted, but a 160W lamp would get too hot for these fittings, but the less common 100W ones would probably be ok.

Return to “Incandescent Lighting”