Modern Tridonic Issues

Any sort of fluorescent Light fittings, lamps, CFLs basically anything that has a fluorescent tube! Any experiments or basically any info or help anyone needs post it here!
Beta 5

Modern Tridonic Issues

Postby Beta 5 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:36 pm

Has anybody suffered any starting issues with the newer range of Tridonic PC and PCA ballasts?
I've had several of the Chinese made PC PRO sl and lp T8 with starting issues where they appear to start normally but then fail to strike the tube and cut out, almost as if the tube is EOL when it's not.
I've had the same with an Austrian made PCA T5 one which preheated, flashed the lamps briefly and then cut out.
They also seem to have issues with hot restrikes, when restarting after only just being switched off some of them have been skipping the pre heat and just instant starting the tubes.
I don't recall seeing any of these issues with the older late 2000's Austrian made PC T8 and T5 ballasts, which also seem to give the proper pre heat every time they strike even if it's only a brief power interruption, while hot.
Slyspark

Re: Modern Tridonic Issues

Postby Slyspark » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:04 am

Yup, those Chinese Tridonics are just crap. As fitted to the last of the Thorn PP's before they discontinued them. I used to rip them out and replace them with Philips HF Performers or I knew I'd be going back to the job under warranty a few months later when it failed completely. Every single fitting I installed that had those in failed - I soon learned not to take that risk.
Bad choices make good stories!
Beta 5

Postby Beta 5 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:11 am

It's a pain that they do this, I'd rather they just went out with a bang than all this erratic behaviour, then at least there is no doubt they are dead!
It would be interesting to know what causes these problems, though I have just binned any that have started doing it and replaced them with something older or better.

How have the modern HF-P's been doing? Are Quicktronic's any good either?
fluorescent

Postby fluorescent » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:46 am

Has anybody suffered any starting issues with the newer range of Tridonic PC and PCA ballasts?
I've had several of the Chinese made PC PRO sl and lp T8 with starting issues where they appear to start normally but then fail to strike the tube and cut out, almost as if the tube is EOL when it's not.
I've had the same with an Austrian made PCA T5 one which preheated, flashed the lamps briefly and then cut out.
They also seem to have issues with hot restrikes, when restarting after only just being switched off some of them have been skipping the pre heat and just instant starting the tubes.
I don't recall seeing any of these issues with the older late 2000's Austrian made PC T8 and T5 ballasts, which also seem to give the proper pre heat every time they strike even if it's only a brief power interruption, while hot.
Yeah total crap. I'm sure someone said they use CFL type circuitry in them(!) but I haven't verified this although it wouldn't surprise me as it appears they don't outlast the first lamp
Country life, vintage lights and a gin & tonic
Beta 5

Postby Beta 5 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:47 pm

Shame they let them come to this, the late 2000's Austrian ones seem reasonably good and then they came out with the current offering ;unsure CFL type circuitry would also explain the behaviour on start up and hot restrikes.
I believe the UK made T8 emergency Combo ballasts were alright until the end though?
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:10 pm

Problem is, they came right at the end of the fluorescent lightung era and they simply didn't care. Thing is, I remember things like this and am then less inclinced to order from them again (for example, their range of LED drivers). It's called shooting yourself in the foot.
Beta 5

Postby Beta 5 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:19 am

That's the thing, since I've had these problems with the Chinese T8 ballasts and that dodgy PCA T5 ballast, I'm avoiding anything recent from Tridonic and going for Osram/Philips or NOS Tridonic now.
Likewise all the issues with those silver cased Helvar's doesn't instil much confidence either.
Last edited by Beta 5 on Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:10 pm

Exactly that!
Kev

Postby Kev » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:44 pm

Tridonic do a basic ballast which does preheat but is a cheap China box they also do the PC2XXX pro replacement of which I have a box to send to medved at some point these have been a massive problem for me I wish I never saw them. They were ok for a couple years I fitted many of them then all of a sudden they started failing. They are not helping my cause!
Beta 5

Postby Beta 5 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:06 pm

Is that one of these basic ones Kev? They came in the later Thorn pop packs but internally look not much better than the cheap junk supplied with the DIY store fittings!
I've got one that's been in since 2017 but it does skip the pre-heat when it's hot sometimes and instant start when doing a hot restrike, it didn't when new but has started in the last year or two :roll:

Thinking back, I've also has a PC Combo 28W 2D ballast fail with starting too. It just rejected every lamp tried on it with the usual couple of flashes and brief buzz sounds Tridonic's do with an EOL lamp or no lamp fitted. Not very good considering it was still on it's first lamp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Fluorescent Lighting”