Why some Philips HPI-T lamps, bulging their arctube?

Anything to do with discharge lamps mercury, SON, SOX etc and their control gear! Do you just need information on how to run a lamp correctly? Post it here!
dor123

Why some Philips HPI-T lamps, bulging their arctube?

Postby dor123 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:16 pm

I've noticed that some Philips HPI-T lamps, have bulged arctube, despite they are intended for horizontal position.
Why this is happening?
I love see run-up and hot restrike of HID lamps, mainly on timed ignitors, and spectra of metal halide lamps.
AngryHorse

Re: Why some Philips HPI-T lamps, bulging their arctube?

Postby AngryHorse » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:48 pm

Aside from the quartz ‘ball’ type of discharge tube, pretty much all halide lamps will tend to bulge if left in long enough.
Welcome to OBLIVION
dor123

Re: Why some Philips HPI-T lamps, bulging their arctube?

Postby dor123 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:11 pm

As the HPI-T intended to be used horizontally. Even if the reason related to preventing sodium migration to the arctube seals, The HPI-T arc is very stable compared to most American probe-start MH lamps, so I don't find any reasons for the upper area of the HPI-T arctube to bulge.
Vertical operated MH lamps, have less likely for their arctube to bulge.
At one of my meetings with Ash, he brought a Philips HPI-T Plus 400W 7th generation, which had in arctube bulged despite it isn't blackened at all (See attachment).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I love see run-up and hot restrike of HID lamps, mainly on timed ignitors, and spectra of metal halide lamps.

Return to “Discharge Lighting, Lamps & Control Gear”