Why the Americans operates their bug zappers outdoors?

Any sort of discussion to do with any lighting whether it be vintage to modern!
dor123

Why the Americans operates their bug zappers outdoors?

Postby dor123 » Tue Jun 18, 2024 3:24 am

As bug zappers are only really do its job indoors (So it only attracts the insects inside the room, and not from outside), why the Americans operates their bug zappers outdoors (Not to mentions that operating a bug zapper outdoors can cause a short)?
I love see run-up and hot restrike of HID lamps, mainly on timed ignitors, and spectra of metal halide lamps.
GreatNorburyStDepot

Re: Why the Americans operates their bug zappers outdoors?

Postby GreatNorburyStDepot » Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:33 am

Thinking of the typical ‘Waltons’ house (which will usually have a covered veranda), I assume the bug zapper lights are there to deal with any insects that are likely to be attracted by porch lights etc.

With equipment generally suspended within a sheltered location and the climate over there being pretty temperate, the risk of ‘shorts’ within the bug zapper would be low.

In addition, pretty much everything on sale in the US is manufactured and tested to UL (Underwriters Laboratories) standards.

That said, the insect tray must need to be emptied frequently, especially in ‘busy’ areas.
”I can’t think why you want to go to London. You won’t find any better lamp posts there.”

L.S. Lowry. (1887 - 1976)
Oliver

Postby Oliver » Sun Aug 11, 2024 9:48 pm

This is also done in Japan. Large insect killers are common outside of shops and they aren't fitted with trays either. There would always be a pile of insects below.

The insect killers are likely designed to be used outdoors. I know the Flowtron ones are.
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:11 pm

Problem with this is it kills everything - even bees and the like, which we do actually need. Seems a bit crazy really...
Bad choices make good stories!
BC5-80

Postby BC5-80 » Mon Aug 12, 2024 1:34 pm

I remember a few decades ago being in America on business. On the road at a toll station (or could have been the border to Mexico) there were giant industrial fly zappers lining both sides of the area on high poles with what I assumed to be 4' 40W tubes - loads per unit. It was hot and humid and they were popping and crackling every few seconds. I was amazed to see such things in the open air like that. Fortunately I was a passenger and not driving so I could take in my surroundings to maximum effect.
dor123

Postby dor123 » Mon Aug 12, 2024 2:30 pm

I think bug zappers operates effectively indoors rather outdoors.
I love see run-up and hot restrike of HID lamps, mainly on timed ignitors, and spectra of metal halide lamps.
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Tue Aug 13, 2024 2:10 pm

Are mozzies attracted to UV? Might be something to do with having them go for the bug zappers instead of munching on people.
Ash

Postby Ash » Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:40 pm

some are but they really are after the CO2. An open flame prolly does better job

Return to “General Lighting Discussion”