Who can clear this one up re discharge lamps

Anything to do with discharge lamps mercury, SON, SOX etc and their control gear! Do you just need information on how to run a lamp correctly? Post it here!
Kev

Re: Who can clear this one up re discharge lamps

Postby Kev » Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:01 pm

Do people (of either culture) go to the pool less nowadays per cap ?

There were say 500 residences there + a pool, and that pool would of been deemed necessary back when it was built

Now there are 1000 residences + one pool less in the area ? - Or its that another one was or is being built ?

PS. Reminds me of a protest act of Ben Gvir, a politician in Israel, which involved multiculturalism and a public pool. That was a good one. I don't want to hijack Peter's thread, but if Kev is interested i can open an offtopic thread

I think the new arrivals perfer a mosque these days to a swimming pool or a bath.
Ash

Postby Ash » Sat Aug 17, 2024 8:59 am

What % of the newly built flats are in fact taken up by the arrivals ?
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:14 pm

Although it’s been a while since you submitted your question, I would hazard a guess that the mystery lamp is an MBI/T (tubular metal halide lamp).

Assuming the fittings were originally twin SON-T, you are probably correct that one of the lamps was replaced by the MBI /T, as the control gear circuit would be broadly the same.

Of course, it is also interesting to consider an earlier type of mercury lamp which might have also been used at your swimming pool - the MB lamp.

Basically an MB lamp is a high pressure mercury vapour type in a clear tubular envelope. The design superseded the earlier medium pressure ‘MA/V mercury lamps (which were also clear / tubular but had an arc tube of glass, rather than quartz).

The light from an MA/V lamp was quite a sickly greeny / blue colour, compared to the cool white light of an MB lamp, but it found favour in early streetlighting installations.

The original MA lamps were designed to be burned in a vertical position (hence the designation of MA/V). If the same lamp was burned in a horizontal position, the discharge path would naturally convect up towards the top inner wall of the arc tube and cause it to rupture.

It was subsequently discovered that an inducted magnetic field above the arc tube, would deflect the discharge path back to the centre location. Early street lanterns were fitted with magnetic arc deflector units.

The high pressure MB lamp with its quartz arc tube, was able to be used in both vertically and horizontally, without the need for a magnetic deflector. It was also more efficient and gave a slightly better colour rendition.

Once the basic structure of a MB lamp was subsequently provided with an elliptical envelope with a phosphor coating on the inside, the MBF lamp took the improvement in mercury lamps even further.
Just seen this and how loads of people have responded. Very interesting info - thank you
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:16 pm

We’ve been here before if I’m not wrong?, you can still see the floods here on the pillar by the skip in this photo of it’s sad destruction.IMG_2748.jpeg
This is exactly the pool - it was the Rhyl Sun centre and all those floods were twin lamp Philips HNF-001s - there were loads of them and I couldn't arrange to save a single one - very frustrating but the destruction of that place was highly questionable and the demise of that place was completely avoidable and a total waste of time and money
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:28 pm

It doesn’t even look old why does everyone want to knock everything down these days!
This is only going to get worse now with this shit new government and their 1.5 million new homes so we can house the entire 3rd world.
Litterly the whole world is laughing at us right now.
Apparently, that structure was so well built it was nigh on impossible to knock down. It had three pools, massive wave machines so people could surf, it had an overhead monorail, multiple slides and was immaculate inside. The whole demolition thing is basically a scandal that was quietly swept under the carpet and was disgusting that it was knocked down. It was one of three major assets that that town had that have all been literally thrown away and now all locals are complaining there's no tourists coming anymore - well duhhhh. Really pisses me off how the area has been so abused. That pool had loads of vintage lighting still maintained from its install in the 70s and I couldn't get in there to save any of it. Was very annoying to say the least. The place was a state of the art wonder even in to the start of this century. They've since built another pool - its a muilt-million pound joke which isn't a fraction of the old one. To add to the joke, even after the old pool was closed and sat derelict for years, the building stood strong, meanwhile the roof on the new one failed quickly meaning its closed for the whole of this year even during tourist season and they've literally thrown giant nets over the roof and ratchet strapped them down with concrete weights on the ground on either side of the building (google SC2 roof issue) and you'll see - its beyond a joke. Talk about throwing away tax payer's money. This country is fooked
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:30 pm

What is on this site now? 1000 shite houses?
nothing - an empty piece of grass
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sat Aug 17, 2024 2:33 pm

I think Sun Centre 2 is just next to this site now, but it’s half its size and ‘industrial’ in looks, (like a warehouse)!, full of fake plants and plastic, and a tiny pool!
When SC1 was built in the 80s a lot of care was taken in its building, it had two huge wave pools separated by a sandstone island and walkways, in the walkways they planted REAL palm trees and exotic plants, this added to that well known swimming pool smell we’re all familiar with, with an island paradise smell that you would get if you were abroad!
As well as the duel SON/MBI floods on the pools, the whole outer walkways were lit with globe lanterns using Philips SL lamps, the whole complex was kept at a steady 25 degrees C to keep the palms and plants happy, and the place looked stunning at night!

There was also a huge pipe coming up from the pump room, to the roof, and across the whole of the main pool that delivered a heavy rainstorm into the main pool as the wave machinery fired up, accompanied by a loud rumble of thunder from the centres sound system! ;cheers

Like I said, a Welsh icon that met a sad end!
Have a read of one of my other comments re the roof of that stupid SC2 pool - the local council is a joke
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Mon Aug 19, 2024 8:08 am

;rfl wow! I wasn’t aware of that!, you can understand why SC1s roof was the shape it was now, to deflect the wind from the seafront!
Anywho, here are some photos of its construction prior to its opening day in June 1980
IMG_9239.jpeg
IMG_9241.jpeg
Check out Rhyl’s old street lighting!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome to OBLIVION
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:26 pm

;rfl wow! I wasn’t aware of that!, you can understand why SC1s roof was the shape it was now, to deflect the wind from the seafront!
Anywho, here are some photos of its construction prior to its opening day in June 1980
IMG_9239.jpegIMG_9241.jpeg
Check out Rhyl’s old street lighting!
Am loving the old construction pictures - amazing and rare. Yeah the area had loads of old lighting right up until the mid 2010's. Loads of mercury and sox was the mainstay. Those lanterns on the sea front were replaced mid-80's with a phosco son installation on twin arms - one lighting the main road and the other just oddly lighting flower beds. Quite curious really. Now its all LED ofcourse. Aye, we lost a real gem when that sun centre went!. If you've got any more old pics of it I'd be interested to see em
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:36 am

A few more pictures from its heyday, the colour one is from its surf pool side for those not familiar with this iconic water park, you can also see its twin pool floods in the top picture too, and it’s rain storm delivery pipe tracking across the roof of the lagoon pool!, just a shame I can’t find a night picture of it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome to OBLIVION

Return to “Discharge Lighting, Lamps & Control Gear”