I'm giving up on my cooker!

Any sort of discussion to do with any lighting whether it be vintage to modern!
RobTDCI

Re: I'm giving up on my cooker!

Postby RobTDCI » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:32 pm

That design of free standing electric cooker with the controls on a splashback above the hob used to be very common and there very often was a 15w fluorescent tube to light the hob. It was a very good and practical idea until the design changed in the 80s with the controls on the front below the hob. That cooker looks in great condition for its age, I had to replace 7 year old gas cooker earlier this year as it was corroding badly, including the grill burner.
amtrakuk

Postby amtrakuk » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:17 pm

There's a load of rust on the underside of the hob top. Lifting up the hob to clean the spill tray you can hear the rust drop like sand onto the foil.. The self cleaning in the oven has mostly pealed off sides and back and the clock stopped working about 2 years ago (there is a granulated sugar type stuff appeared on the coil).

It may not look pretty but its still working, judging by the fantastic baking The Radar makes at the weekends there's still plenty of life in it yet. :mrgreen:
Nick217

Postby Nick217 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:53 pm

I agree with dan ref those cooker tubes think i have one about some where.. Always thought the 100w gls ballasted the 15w tube?
amtrakuk

Postby amtrakuk » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:05 pm

That would make sense using the oven lamp as the ballast but sadly no, its that green sausage. The wiring is double terminated from the live supply terminal on the clock transformer, though the switch and then though the sausage, the rest you can work out. Terminating on the negative side of the clock transformer. Just introducing a 4>20 watt starter instead of the push to make non latching part of the switch fixed the problem ;)

If I remember when I got it there was a very well used and badly banded atlas tube, sadly I never kept it.
johndom123

Postby johndom123 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:24 pm

I've got a 60W striplite lamp in my cooker, the warm tungsten glow way beats any fluorescent for this job :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
amtrakuk

Postby amtrakuk » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:30 pm

Man that is a clean cooker.. Sorry Fluro is better I recon he he

Return to “General Lighting Discussion”