So called long life lithium cells

Put anything here that's badly designed/made, failed, catastrophically exploded or just an epic fail in a general sort of way.
HIDLamp

So called long life lithium cells

Postby HIDLamp » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:02 pm

The local village hall has three mains powered fire alarms, each has a capacitor back-up. (One heat in the kitchen and two smoke in the main hall). All of them have wireless bases to interlink them. Anyway the two in the main hall started chirping. Two new alarms were bought and fitted today and they still bleeped. Turns out the 10year lithium batteries in the wirless interlink base units have expired after 5 years and just out of the warranty period and the detectors themselves were still good. Got to do something as we have a group staying overnight this weekend.
Not the first time I've know 'long life' lithium cells in fire alarms fail early. Anybody else had this problem?
Slyspark

Re: So called long life lithium cells

Postby Slyspark » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:07 pm

There's a surprise. Not by any chance made by Kidde Fyrenetics are they?
Bad choices make good stories!
HIDLamp

Postby HIDLamp » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:14 pm

No these are BRK, no idea if they're related but there appears to be atreand of them misbehving looking at google
Some Fire Angle battery powered ones did the same at my grandma's a few years back, after 13 months, just in that instance one decided to start false alarming at 3am.
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:16 pm

I've always found this is a problem with Kidde Fyrenetics stuff. Alarm has a '10-yr non-replaceable' lithium re-chargeable cell in it and it fails at about 30 months. Their response when I called to complain... ...well, it only has a 1yr warranty. Since then I've always gone with EI Professional (Aico) alarms and I've installed hundreds of these and never had a problem. Cost a bit more, but you get what you pay for I guess.....
Bad choices make good stories!
OsramAwesomness2

Postby OsramAwesomness2 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:22 pm

Alarm talk here guys I know quite a lot about them as I collect them :mrgreen: :) yeah Aico are great detectors in my house I use Apollo
Account not in use
HIDLamp

Postby HIDLamp » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:29 pm

At home we aren't to fused just as long as you can change the batteries. Just today I got a full new set for the whole house.

Return to “Hall of Shame”