Upcycling and lamps

Put anything here that's badly designed/made, failed, catastrophically exploded or just an epic fail in a general sort of way.
RobTDCI

Upcycling and lamps

Postby RobTDCI » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:41 pm

Have you noticed the new craze of taking just about any kind of old object from bits of plumbing to petrol cans and sticking a lamp on it and calling it upcycling, often then trying to sell it on for stupid money? Nearly always they would be much better being left alone or being restored in their own right rather than making them into a lamp. I've just restored an Vacuum cleaner from the 1970s, (just a one off as part of a general interest in older electrics, I'm not a serious collector of vacs in the way I am of lighting). I came across this on instagram and think it looks ridiculous. I can't see that it would look good anywhere! What do you think? Surely if you were going to do anything with that, it would have been better to restore it as it was rather than vandalise it and create something that looks so daft? Lets see what other silly examples we can find!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danny
Site Admin

Re: Upcycling and lamps

Postby Danny » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:24 pm

Lol I could spend all day digging shit like this out from ebay
fluorescent

Postby fluorescent » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:28 pm

That looks proper wank!
Country life, vintage lights and a gin & tonic
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:40 pm

That has to be the worse looking standard lamp ever, they could have left the vacuum complete at least?, like with the bag and fitments, and everything attached?
Welcome to OBLIVION
RobTDCI

Postby RobTDCI » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:06 pm

It would indeed have been better left as it was, after all, there is a market for vintage electrical appliances. Maybe it wasn't complete but even so, I'm sure it would have been better to use it for spares for another cleaner.

Return to “Hall of Shame”