Painting fluorescent fixtures

Any sort of discussion to do with any lighting whether it be vintage to modern!
fluorescent

Painting fluorescent fixtures

Postby fluorescent » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:05 pm

Whilst I have already painted more than one fixture, it has been very time consuming and the results haven't always been perfect. So I'm just wondering how you guys go about it, what paint you use and where you get it from? Also other tips and advice appreciated.
Country life, vintage lights and a gin & tonic
Kev

Re: Painting fluorescent fixtures

Postby Kev » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:20 pm

This is something I have NEVER been able to master always end up with runs in the paint etc!
Danny
Site Admin

Postby Danny » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:41 pm

I usually use radiator spray paint that’s a bit tougher against heat. It usually runs for me if I spray it too close or leave it in one area too long. So I tend to spray it on in coats now.

Doing it inside can give you a headache and outside flies like to land in it if it’s too warm stupid things and the slightest wind can muck it up.
Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:59 pm

I use Wilko's gloss white spray enamel, main reason is because its actually quite a thick paint that usually holds its weight really well. Best thing to do is many thin layers, with 5 to 10 minutes drying time before the next coat. I usually do 7 to 9 coats depending on how even each layer comes out. By allowing that bit of drying time, it eliminates the running and dripping issues. Its one of those things you have to be patient with, but so far by doing that I've never had any problems.
Little trick too, if it does run, lightly brush the corner of kitchen paper across the run, repeat if needed, and then just quickly spray some more paint thinly, and usually it levels itself out.
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:01 pm

Ideally with a compressor and a proper spray gun, BUT, for those of us not lucky enough to own that kind of kit, rattle cans are the next best (but also fairly expensive) option.

The key here is not to get carried away and rush, or it'll end up looking crap and you'll have wasted both your time and money. Firstly, prep is important, get rid of absolutely any signs of rust and treat with a rust inhibitor / converter if you need to. If you've gone back to bare metal, a primer is also a good idea. If you want a high-quality, durable finish, radiator enamel is best (but also more expensive). If you're on a budget, places like Lidl, sometimes sell cans of spray paint in their random tat section. Usually a German brand called Baufix, which is perfectly reasonable and at £2.50 a tin, MUCH cheaper than the DIY sheds. Failing that, can pick up reasonable stuff on eBay. Unless you have good ventilation, spray it outside on a dry day, but do it in the shade. Don't do it too late in the day, as if any moisture ends up forming on the painted surface (particularly in later summer) it'll ruin the finish and you'll have to start again. Next rule of thumb, don't spray too much or for too long. No matter how tempting, several thin coats are best. Any more than that at a time and it'll run and look crap. Some sprays you can over-spray within an hour or 2, whilst the previous coat is still tacky. In this instance, no need to key the finish between coats. If you let it fully dry and come back days later to apply another coat, a VERY LIGHT rub with fine wet and dry / sandpaper, etc is a good idea so the next coat can key. Finally, once it's looking fantastic, give it a week to go properly hard, don't rush to put the fitting back together, or the paint won't have fully cured and you can scratch it really easily.

Hope this helps?
Bad choices make good stories!
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:54 pm

Ooh, that sounds like quite a lot of work for something that doesn`t really need a car finish! ;what , I confess to being a bit cheap and cheerful with batten painting, a quick rub over with a P180 disk, and blow it over with domestic appliance white! ;roll
Welcome to OBLIVION
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:59 pm

Haha, yes, it depends if you're going for an 'as new' finish, or just tidy!
Bad choices make good stories!
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:19 pm

I use to see it all the time, back in my stationary engine rally days, Lister As and Bs, lovingly sanded down, then sprayed in Lister green, and polished!! ;faint
They certainly didn`t leave the factory in Dursley like that back in the 30s and 40s!, it was just a bit of green paint slapped on a roughish casting with a 4 inch brush!

While the owners of these engines thought they were their pride and joy, it use to infuriate the `old boy` Lister men, who grew up with them on farms and the likes! ;rfl
Welcome to OBLIVION
fluorescent

Postby fluorescent » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:09 am

Thanks all. I used a can of Lidl spray paint on the Excellent Pack, it was the best I've used in terms of application, coverage and cost. Two problems with it however, it's a high gloss finish (I've never seen it available in satin) whereas fixtures are a satin finish usually, it also doesn't seem that durable.

The worst paint I've used was a tin of 'Rustoleum Appliance Enamel', it cost £9 and didn't apply that well. It was sold as being extra durable, however it was applied months ago and to this day feels a bit soft like I could chip it off with my nails!

What do you guys use for sanding? I've just been using whatever sand paper I had laying around, I'm thinking about buying some Scotch Brite type pads? Has anyone used these?

And I do have a compressor and a (cheap, probably crap) spray gun, I would like to learn to use this one day as it's much cheaper and should give the best finish, albeit far more hassle with having to clean everything afterwards
Country life, vintage lights and a gin & tonic
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:44 am

Finish with at least 1500 or 2000 grit wet & dry paper for the best results.

As usual the 7 P's come into it:

Proper Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Return to “General Lighting Discussion”