Tabelec 'LEL Multipulse' Starters

Any sort of fluorescent Light fittings, lamps, CFLs basically anything that has a fluorescent tube! Any experiments or basically any info or help anyone needs post it here!
fluorescent

Re: Tabelec 'LEL Multipulse' Starters

Postby fluorescent » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:31 am

I've just had my first LEL 'Multipulse' type starter fail. It was in a 2' fixture which sees very regular switching, several times an hour, but has worked fine for two years - bravo. Melted the can, overheated with cathodes glowing.
Interesting. Had the lamp gone eol or is it still ok?

You need to put an Arlen EFS120 or EFS600 in now and see how long that lasts
Country life, vintage lights and a gin & tonic
Cobster

Postby Cobster » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:39 pm

Lamp new in two weeks ago. I'm still impressed with them though, having installed hundreds of starters in the past.
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:28 pm

I've just ordered another batch of 100 from them, no failures so far on any I've fitted :)
Bad choices make good stories!
BC5-80

Postby BC5-80 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:33 pm

I'd love to know how they fail. First guess would be the SCR device (Startlight or whatever). If it loses control and turns itself on every half cycle via some internal current path after breakdown, the continuous conduction of preheat current could cause sufficient self-heating to cause the meltdown. Such overheating concerns would never exist when normal conduction is so brief and intermittent.

As far as I am aware, these power devices use old-fashioned glass passivation, which is not voltage rugged and can fail permanently when subjected to voltage stress. The failure path can conduct current which acts as trigger current to turn the device on without an externally applied gate signal.
Ash

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:04 pm

If they really fire (as if getting gate signal) and don't just develop some resistive path (that bypasses the component), then they should not heat much in this mode either - The resistance of a conducting SCR is fairly low. Definitely not heat enough to go out with a bang in a blink (if anything, slow heating and melting the Plastic starter enclosure would be more likely)
BC5-80

Postby BC5-80 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:56 pm

I thought slow heating and melting was the failure mode. A flash and a bang sounds more like an electrolytic with mains on it. :shock:
Ash

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:35 pm

I do recall "flash and bang" case with an EFS600 that was presented on LG. First thing i thought when i seen that was "ballast shorted"

Also, there are some 58W fittings with early (1987-ish) EFS600's that i saved from the ballast factory. There is what looks like minor melting in the Plastic cases near the corners of the SCR. I have not tested them yet, i'll test and see if they work at all

Return to “Fluorescent Lighting”