Nasty Ebay electronics

Put anything here that's badly designed/made, failed, catastrophically exploded or just an epic fail in a general sort of way.
RobTDCI

Nasty Ebay electronics

Postby RobTDCI » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:45 pm

So it's time to kick off the first thread under the hall of shame, and this one is dedicated to some of the Chinese rubbish available from Ebay that in addition to being of poor quality and often not fit for purpose, is also dangerous. Here I have a set of Christmas lights where the cabling that links it to the mains is like telephone cable and not double insulated, and is not secured properly in the control unit. In addition these were supplied with a sub standard adapter that has no fuse or shutter. I don't know why I ever thought purchasing these to be a good idea, I never use them and wouldn't trust them, but keep them as en example of some of the dangerous crap on sale on Ebay. It's just a shame that there will be many people buying this sort of rubbish who won't have any idea of how unsafe it is.

Kev

Re: Nasty Ebay electronics

Postby Kev » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:34 pm

I'll reply to rob with my most hated lamp the classic ebay LED corn lamp complete with 150W LED corn lamp = 400W SON. Not sure what part of 15000Lm is equilivent to the 55400Lm from the 400W SON? You would be better off going down to 150W SON with a more efficient 18100 Lm!
Plus these things are so I reliable Id bet a good standard ventrue 400W would out last the corn lamps lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danny
Site Admin

Postby Danny » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:45 pm

image.jpg
My dreaded eBay item is those nasty un fused rubber plugs. Those things are a accident and fertality waiting to happen I have 2 of those in my house on led strips from my granddad house when we cleared that out. When I get round to it they'll be snipped off and replaced.

I went to buy a strimmer found the one I wanted was just about to press the Buy it now button and in the feedback was several complaints about counterfeit goodS!!! What the hell do I do now???
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RobTDCI

Postby RobTDCI » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:47 pm

Indeed, some of the inflated claims and blatant lies made about products in order to sell them. That looks like one of the corn lamps that can give a nasty nip if handled while powered up?
Kev

Postby Kev » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:17 am

Those plug tops are deadly dan. ESP if you have a crossed ring main (as I've seen a good few times) a potential of 64 amos on a 0.50 flex = instant fire!
I'd give those strimmer sets a wide birth dan unless you buy stihl you will be buying again
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:37 pm

Why do you want petrol?, I have a Flymo strimmer, (electric), a Black and Decker hedge cutter, (electric), and my beast JCB rotary mower, housing a 1000watt super quiet induction motor :D , had it 8 years now, and never had a problem with it.
Welcome to OBLIVION
Kev

Postby Kev » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:40 pm

Wonder if your JCB mower would sort my fields out rich lol
Danny
Site Admin

Postby Danny » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:45 pm

Petrol mowers are easier I can cut grass without worrying about mowing the flex or the flex tripping me over or having to plug in about 2 or 3 extension leads to do the hedge that's up the back of the garden which is severely over grown at the minute and I hope to get that down to a sensible height this winter! I can do all my customers gardens without having to ask to plug it in and do them when there out

They may be a pain to start some times but they are damn site easier and more powerful
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:00 am

Ah right, I bought a 25 metre JCB extention lead with the mower, you can plug it in upstairs, run it all the way from the landing, through the kitchen, to the back lawn, and still go the full length of the back lawn! :P

Yes Kev it would cut it perfect, I have mine set to its highest position, I CAN run over the lead without cutting it, and induction motors run forever, just needing a starting capacitor once in a while, I also file a nice sharp edge on my blade after a few cuts, it helps to mash my fast growing, uneven back lawn down well!
Welcome to OBLIVION
XmasLightGuy

Postby XmasLightGuy » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:19 pm

Here I have a set of Christmas lights where the cabling that links it to the mains is like telephone cable...
I've seen what looks like those same sets on US eBay.
Was a bit tempted to buy a couple one time but didn't because:
That wire looks awefully thin (to the point where if something went wrong & it shorted, that you'd burn right through it before the breaker ever tripped) :lol:
I didn't want the stupid flasher control they all come with.

I have mine set to its highest position, I CAN run over the lead without cutting it
That's something I've never risked testing (or even done accidentally), is finding out if I can run over the cord while mowing without cutting it...
I do have it set to the highest setting just because its better for the lawn.
not much longer & it'll be time for the mower to sit away for the winter

Return to “Hall of Shame”