Mass LED failures

Put anything here that's badly designed/made, failed, catastrophically exploded or just an epic fail in a general sort of way.
amtrakuk

Mass LED failures

Postby amtrakuk » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:30 pm

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed loads of LED flood lights failing over the last few weeks.

The Dunelm in Halifax has got 2 failed LED floods on one post, around the back one of their floods down the side of their shop is pulsing on and off and another one around the other side of the building.

In Leeds there is a large scale flood lighting a strobeing I spotted.

One of the street lights on Chainbar Roundabout (M606/M62) has failed.

I think Leeds is starting to get the LED bandwagon coming their way. Was driving along to pickup The Radar from the station and I see new lamp posts with LED lanterns sat on top are sited just beside the existing Iridium. What I don't understand the existing lighting was one of the last streets to be lose their SOX under the PFI. They must have been PFId under 5 years ago and now they want to LED it. Is this another case of Ohhh shiney shiney, We've got to have it its LED, The tax payer wont mind - its LED. Oh did I mention, its LED?

There's a few streets I drive down to go to work which have LED replacing 35 watt SOX. *Sigh* the light is all pooled within 20 ft, unlike the beta 5s that lit the whole street. Even mini Iridium do a comparable job to the beta 5.
Kev

Re: Mass LED failures

Postby Kev » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:02 pm

It's everywhere Angus if it's not led it must be inefficient!!!!
Danny
Site Admin

Postby Danny » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:10 pm

Nowadays you just gotta walk around the town centre and you could write a list as long as your arm of the amount of failures. I used to text kev every time I seen one but they are becoming that frequent now id be texting him every few minutes
eclipsislamps
Site Admin

Postby eclipsislamps » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:21 pm

What you doing in halifax? lol ;) Yes Ive seen that flashing led flood on dunelm. Also some flashing leds on mecca bingo in halifax near the shopping centre. Also some of the led streetlights on Ainley top roundabout, huddersfield have some dead diodes.
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Thu Dec 17, 2015 3:48 pm

Noticed loads failed at the entrance to Manchester airport. SHITE!
Danny
Site Admin

Postby Danny » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:08 pm

Saw 2 today one was a dead square mod in kfc the other was one of the brand new led weather packs in B&Q gardencentre
amtrakuk

Postby amtrakuk » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:25 pm

What you doing in halifax? lol ;) Yes Ive seen that flashing led flood on dunelm. Also some flashing leds on mecca bingo in halifax near the shopping centre. Also some of the led streetlights on Ainley top roundabout, huddersfield have some dead diodes.
I always wonder about those around Mecca. I thought they were just trying to attract attention...

Have you seen the furniture shop at "Hippo" crossroads? The owner has fitted LED spotlights and nearly all of them strobe at a seizure level
amtrakuk

Postby amtrakuk » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:45 pm

Really worries me the crap they are putting up in residential areas to replace Beta 5s etc. No lighting the surrounding area just immediately the ground below it then nothing for 20 yards before the next lantern. Every time I pass one I try and put myself into the mind of the planning department and it goes something like this;

1. The old lanterns are coming to the EOL.
2. LED only uses 1/3 the power of a discharge lamp and it provides the minimal amount of light required.
3. Once we put it in we will never ever have to do anything with it for 25 years,
4. LED LED L...E...D.... Ohhhh and more LED

We'll send out a satisfaction survey - because we have to and because were so caring (yeah right)
No matter on the results doesn't matter because we've already printed up the 94% of people agree it is improvement (and we don't want to appear stupid and inept).

The laugh is when they are caught off guard (etc) when there is a fault it will take upwards of a year to repair (if at all) because they didn't plan for it to happen.
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:09 pm

No, you will just get that tired old government official line that they use for everything to hospital bugs to train crashed.
the one that goes....
"We wasted millions of tax payers money on a failed LED scheme, and now its time to learn from the mistakes of the past, and make sure it never happens again"!

How many time in your life time have you heard this????
Welcome to OBLIVION

Return to “Hall of Shame”