I think our SON are doomed now!

Anything at all to do with street lighting! Thats everything from vintage to modern! Their control gear, columns or just anything you need help with! You name it, post it here!
AngryHorse

I think our SON are doomed now!

Postby AngryHorse » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:52 pm

Just been out on a long walk with Ash, and seen the deteriorated state of our 50watt SON-T along Ash`s walk route.
This installation was put in way over 6 years ago now, and the lamps are original!, I know Cheshire East have been out in the last 2 months, as I have seen them, and the outed SOX on the route are all now fixed.

Its funny why they are leaving the SON out, (a good 80% of them are now cycling), which makes me think some LED nightmare are on their way!
These SON are way overdue for a re-lamp, so unless a lantern change is on the cards, theres no other reason they would leave them?
Last edited by AngryHorse on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Danny
Site Admin

Re: I think our SON are doomed now!

Postby Danny » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:52 pm

Maybe report them and see what happens?
Kev

Postby Kev » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:51 am

I sure hope not rich. :|
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:30 am

Its looking that way, why wouldn`t they re-lamp if it wasn`t worth it?
Its not just the Vectras along Long Lane, its also the 2600s that go from there right down to the bottom of Hayhurst Avenue!

The ones that are not cycling have totally lost their SON colour, and are that dim you can now see the discharge tube without being blinded!

On the upside though, one of them was re-fitted with a Philips Libra, housing a 36watt PL-L, why just this one was fitted I don`t know?, but it would be cool to see the streets full of these if they insist on white light.
We will see what happens?
Liam

Postby Liam » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:13 am

Have those lights been fixed now rich?
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:05 pm

Well my guess was right, they didn`t re-lamp because it WASN`T worth it!, as of today all our 50watt SON are now gone on this route, every one!, all LED now, its weired to walk this route and see the colour in the trees and grass all along Long Lane South, (not seen in white light since the removal of our MBF in the early 80s)!

It is still well lit though, (still not found out whos these lanterns are), but it is nice to have an MBF colour `copy`!, as best as I can describe it, along here again!
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:44 am

Can't beat the glow of SON though. :)

After taking a stroll on deck at 2am after being on the cocktails in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, I spotted this orange glow on the horizon (low cloud cover). I knew straight away it was SON and sure enough we soon overtook a big bulk carrier lit up like a Christmas tree with SON floods :)
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:44 am

Cool, yeah, big powerful SON floods have always been a big hit for shipping!
When you say `overtook`!!!, what sort of knots is your boat doing? :shock:
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:19 pm

Well it was Queen Mary 2 which can do 30 knots but we were only doing about 22. :)

Return to “Street Lighting”