Lot 20

Put anything here that's badly designed/made, failed, catastrophically exploded or just an epic fail in a general sort of way.
Slyspark

Lot 20

Postby Slyspark » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:29 pm

So, anyone else discovered that most common electric heaters have vanished from sale? Also, the stuff you can still get is WAY more expensive too. Basically, another bit of EU bullshit legislation come to fuck us all over. Means that heaters now have to be more energy efficient and 'smart' - more to go wrong, more expensive and probably open to being hacked too. Thanks for that EU ;wanker ;wanker ;wanker

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/ ... eaflet.pdf
Bad choices make good stories!
Kev

Re: Lot 20

Postby Kev » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:05 pm

Yeh well electric heating is 100% effieint thibk about how it works.... you could have a 1939 bar heater is the same effieincy as a brand new convector. Probably why rointe got fined for fake made up figures.
HIDLamp

Postby HIDLamp » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:26 pm

I'll just go an put more bricks in the vilage hall storage heaters so they'll hold the heat longer.
Though the main heating is 6x Redring 1.5/2kW halogen space heaters tht must be atleast 30years old and came to us second hand. Turn them on and your imediatly warm, if there is a more efficent way of heating a the main room in former 18th Century church then tell me now.
lasagafield

Postby lasagafield » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:05 pm

Yeh well electric heating is 100% effieint thibk about how it works.... you could have a 1939 bar heater is the same effieincy as a brand new convector. Probably why rointe got fined for fake made up figures.
Yeah that's what I thought.
Doesn't make any sense.
Gotta have me, a good... LASAGA!
Ash

Postby Ash » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:06 pm

Haven't seen any specification as to what the requirements really are ? There is a pic of something with a digital thermostat and absolutely no more useful info whatsoever

As mentioned, all heaters made since the discovery of Ohm's law are equally efficient. I think what really is meant is some other limitation built into the device. And that being describd as "efficiency" to be understandable to the "average user" who does not know any better

Sorta reminds of how "DRM" in IT is some technology meant to limit what yo can do with media you buy, yet to the users who buy the electronics, the DRM technology is presented as a feature (like "supports HDCP !")
lasagafield

Postby lasagafield » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:00 pm

Sorta reminds of how "DRM" in IT is some technology meant to limit what yo can do with media you buy, yet to the users who buy the electronics, the DRM technology is presented as a feature (like "supports HDCP !")
Bang on description that!
Gotta have me, a good... LASAGA!
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:12 pm

The requirements largely seem to be to ban stuff that's simple and easy to repair (either on/off / timer / stat controlled) and introduce stuff crammed with complicated electronics (wi-fi enabled, open window detection / smart home enabled) which won't last. Any of this sounding familiar? Think back a few years and lighting went the same way......
fluorescent

Postby fluorescent » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:58 pm

Electric heating may be 100% efficient, but generating electricity and distributing it is quite lossy, hence why electricity is quite expensive and it's actually more efficient to heat the building with gas (or similar) even though many boilers are only around 60-80% efficient.

I've not seen anything about electric heaters being banned/regulated? I did buy a new 2kw convector heater about a month ago and it has a 24hr timer despite only being a cheepy Chinese model.
Country life, vintage lights and a gin & tonic
Kev

Postby Kev » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:05 pm

Not surprised at all. So instead of a switch on it works dimplex it’s going to be a £200 oil filled rad. Most commercial shops use air con like I’ve got in the room now. I’m going to be doing some more work in there soon. Bit by bit!
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:12 pm

No, they can actually still sell convectors and stuff, it just has to be 'smart' and limit energy waste. It'll manage that in one of 2 ways:

1) It'll be so complicated, no-one will know how to turn it on anyway.
2) It'll be so complicated, it'll have failed and you won't be able to turn it on.

The bigger problem arises if you have to replace a single heater on say, a pilot wire system. The new heaters are not compatible with this, so that system is now obsolete. Means an expensive rewire now :(

Return to “Hall of Shame”