Handrail lighting

Any sort of discussion to do with any lighting whether it be vintage to modern!
FrontSideBus

Handrail lighting

Postby FrontSideBus » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:51 pm

You can get LED ropelight and tape strips for so little money these days I'm thinking it would be fun to route out a channel on the underside of the handrail on my stairs and stick some into it.
I'd not run them on much power, maybe a couple of watts for the whole thing, just to get minimal lighting on the stairs so it could stay on pretty much permanently...
Ash

Re: Handrail lighting

Postby Ash » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:19 am

Would be interesting to stick it under each stair

As for the hand rail lighting - Back at the time (when i was kid) i played with the concept of having a FL tube in a hollowed out rail that lights as you touch it. Think a rail open from the bottom, made of non conductive material. Inside is a F40T12, supplied with just 230V Phase on one or both ends (no ballast or neutral). When you touch it, it will light dimly from one end up to the place where you touch
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:00 am

Yeah, but it’s shit, we’ve got it all on the under edges of the reception desk at work, it dimms out and goes yellow within 2 years :?
Welcome to OBLIVION
Ash

Postby Ash » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:05 am

Give it some 9.5V instead of the 12V (just enough to light 3 LEDs in series) and it'll be fine
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:34 pm

Yeah they would be ran nowhere near full power. Probably just enough to get a moonlight level only.

Return to “General Lighting Discussion”