SON Power Draw Electronic Vs Magnetic

Anything to do with discharge lamps mercury, SON, SOX etc and their control gear! Do you just need information on how to run a lamp correctly? Post it here!
fluorescent

Re: SON Power Draw Electronic Vs Magnetic

Postby fluorescent » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:04 pm

I've got a Holophane Wallpackette 70w SON on part night. I just can't justify burning ~90w all night, every night.

I would prefer magnetic & will maybe convert it one day, but for now I think I'll try the 40w Clusterlite. It'll be interesting to see how well it lasts actually, they're supposed to be very good lamps.
Country life, vintage lights and a gin & tonic
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:55 pm

With the 18w SOX in my patio Gamma 6 nearing 3 years, I'm wondering what I should replace it with when it dies. I'm thinking 18w PL-L tbh.
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:54 am

90watt does sound a bit high, Thorn and Philips have a total circuit draw of 86 watts, and I know you won’t want to hear this ;wh , but I had 70watt SON lighting my back garden, but changing to a 32watt, wide distribution Philips Uni-street made a big difference! ;cool
Welcome to OBLIVION
Kev

Postby Kev » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:39 pm

See I’ve been playing with power monitoring lately on my fittings, I have a Wi-fi power monitoring switch on my part night 150W SON flood. The current does vary through the evening it’s between 163 and 170W depending on what the voltage is doing on a part night it’s burning through 1.56 kWh which is about 20p a night seeing as these are winter months and the longest burning hours even worst case that’s £73 a year, I can live with that just fine.
Going to do the same to my ZX1 100W and my ME 35

Return to “Discharge Lighting, Lamps & Control Gear”