Led life expectancy gone down?

Anything regarding LED lighting
FrontSideBus

Re: Led life expectancy gone down?

Postby FrontSideBus » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:13 pm

I paid £20 a lamp years ago when the Sylvania ES50 GU10 LED retrofit came out, I put them in the kitchen which are all still kicking all these later but all the ones I put in the Bathroom have all died.
It seems the moisture from the shower kills them as the subsequent replacements don't seem to last long in there either.
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:53 pm

Said lamp started on dusk to dawn running on the o/s lighting circuit, then at 16,000 + hours, it was put on 24/7 all year, I’ve now got it back on dusk/dawn though.
Welcome to OBLIVION
fluorescent

Postby fluorescent » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:45 am

I've got a couple of 5ft 840 NVC LED tubes, think they're 22w? One is basically new with only about 10 hours on it, the other has probably done about 10 months of 24/7. I've been debating putting them in a fitting of some sort above my work bench, I think that would be interesting to see how long they last. Only issue is the sporadic use means I will never know exactly how many hours they've done unless I fit an hour meter in the fitting?
Country life, vintage lights and a gin & tonic
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:37 am

Yeah, a tube test would be ideal, as these are the ones with the worse reputations, I don’t own any LED tubes, but have plenty of battens to try one in, I should get a couple?
I’ve now started 24/7 tests on GU10s, starting with Morrison’s own, run of the mill ones, the Wickes ones I have in use at work, are out living their Megaman counterparts fourfold!
Welcome to OBLIVION
fluorescent

Postby fluorescent » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:24 pm

Shame that as Megaman CFL's were excellent, some of the best out there IMO. I would be interested to see life tests on various quality/price range of LED tubes. Perhaps I'll move my life test of these NVC tubes up the priority list, I'll have to find a suitable fitting to butcher!
Country life, vintage lights and a gin & tonic
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:01 pm

We used to get the MegaMans in boxes of ten, one box of cool white, one of warm, the cool whites all started failing within a year, then the warm whites followed suit ;shock
Then our wholesale stopped stocking them!, when I asked why, I was told other contractors were bringing them back in mass, and when the branch managers tried to contact the MegaMan rep, none would ever show up, e-mails were never answered either!
Don’t know what went on, but that’s pretty poor customer service from a fairly good name ;confused
Welcome to OBLIVION
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:53 pm

Same story I got from the wholesalers, Megaman LED lamps have a poor life expectancy. I put a load in downlights in a roof overhang at a stables. Returned last week to replace them all with Osram ones as they'd pretty much all failed. Been in 2 years, but not used often, just switched on manually when needed. I mostly keep Aurora (Enlite) ones on the van now, they seem to last ok.
Bad choices make good stories!
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:28 am

Anyone ever used any Novah stuff?, got four tubes out in our workshop number two, so trying some 6 foot Novah tubes in, I’ll do pictures tonight, but they look pretty good in service.
Welcome to OBLIVION

Return to “LED Lighting”