Led life expectancy gone down?

Anything regarding LED lighting
Kev

Re: Led life expectancy gone down?

Postby Kev » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:46 pm

You say that rich but a lot of the big companies down here are running a lot of solar panels. And 12000 hours down to 80% isn’t that bad. As for gear losses on fittings that’s something we need to look at as my 150W tempo on the barn is running at a cool 158W good for magnetic gear!
Plus some of those led tubes can last -10000 hours like the one my neighbours brought for their parlour!
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:54 pm

Also take into consideration, the big lighting names we all use to worship, have all betrayed their customers, Philips, Osram/GEC, Thorn, ALL closed their factories an sold out to China!
Solar energy is great for energy costs, but it’s too little too late for old school lamps, had it been around in the 60/70s, we would still be using mercury lamps on mass!
Welcome to OBLIVION
fluorescent

Postby fluorescent » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:08 pm

It won't be long before all LED lamps are only rated at 10,000 hours or less. The LED invasion has been a roaring success and now it's a race to the bottom. I'm sure I've already seen some LED lamps rated at only 12,000 hours, LAP B22 things from Screwfix IIRC.
...the pile of LED waste now being created cos these shit things don't last and are harder to recycle - plastics / metals / glass bonded together...
Don't worry the solder is lead free so they can be chucked in landfill :D
Country life, vintage lights and a gin & tonic
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:15 pm

Lamps are the last thing to worry about anyway, wait till we’re all using electric cars, and the grid crashes as their all charged!, wonder if the globalists have thought of that one.....???????
Welcome to OBLIVION
Oliver

Postby Oliver » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:35 pm

Lamps are the last thing to worry about anyway, wait till we’re all using electric cars, and the grid crashes as their all charged!, wonder if the globalists have thought of that one.....???????
Would have to use a push bike to get around.
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:38 pm

I think that’s what their after, pricing us average Joes off the road! ;roll
Welcome to OBLIVION
Oliver

Postby Oliver » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:38 pm

I guess the “these can last up to 25 years” saying was bullshit then. Yea i remember when they said they would last 100,000 hours. 18,000 hours is the lowest ive seen yet! Ive got 3 8w tubes on test which have outlasted that life expectancy 5x over
I remember that too. I also remember how expensive the early led lamps were. The lowest I’ve seen is “up to” 15k hours. That brick light is such a bad idea and more wasteful in the long run than the good old pl ones.
Ash

Postby Ash » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:15 am

No problem with electric cars in the concept level. They are just another energy using device, and if the power company wants you to use less energy, they can step up the prices

The potential problem is that there is intention to use them as a smart grid component

On the face of it, this will improve grid stability since the cars act as a power reserve exactly for the peak demands, and draw power at the lows (in the night). This will reduce the need for "hot reserve" of the power companies so save considerable amounts of fuel and air pollution

The problem is how the communication between the car and smart grid will be implemented

What i could wish for is an open simple protocol, where the grid announces what it wants (i.e. what size of reserve per car it wants and whether it wants power input or output at the moment), one-way communication. Then a microcontroller in the car decides how much to follow, based on 1. priorities and orders set by me, 2. the grid's wishes. Such microcontroller would be optional (if your car does not have it it will draw a constant power level like any simple appliance and not return anything to the grid), and if you choose to have one, it does not have to be any more complex than an arduino, and does not require data interconnect with anything else in the car : for all it cares, the car's ECU could be implemented with relays

What we can expect from the car manufacturers is a closed system with closed protocol, that may not give the user much choice in how the cars can be used (such as, not really give user's orders the absolute top priority over the grid), will report to the grid (or to anyone else) on our car use habits, and is hardwired into other systems of the car in ways that prevent any "tampering" with (see lead solder post)
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:31 pm

Back with the question of LED life, how many of us are carrying out any LED tests?, we’ve all done life tests with fluorescent, HID, and CFLs, but just how many of us are doing the same with new tech?
My current longest running LED on test has now clocked up 32,993 hours, and still looks as bright as the day it started the test, (I cannot verify this however, as I don’t have a lumen meter), but by eye, it still looks as good.
Welcome to OBLIVION
Kev

Postby Kev » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:39 pm

What you been doing rich running 24/7 for 4 years?

Return to “LED Lighting”