LED to CFL trial

Anything to do with discharge lamps mercury, SON, SOX etc and their control gear! Do you just need information on how to run a lamp correctly? Post it here!
amtrakuk

LED to CFL trial

Postby amtrakuk » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:05 pm

As a trial I have removed all LED lamps and replaced them with the CFLs that were in there before. It is very clear the limitations of CFL, if their not blinking their starting up dim, they are defiantly dimmer even replacing the 5 watt LED for 9 Watt CFL they are clearly aren't as bright. The only acceptable ones really are 11 watt Morissons stick CFLs.

On the plus side they do seemed to give out a better "quality" light than a CFL.

What non-LED GLS replacement Energy Saving lamps that don't blink of start off dim come top of your list or is it LED or nothing?
AngryHorse

Re: LED to CFL trial

Postby AngryHorse » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:49 pm

Depends how you use your lighting, CFL are good for one start at dusk, to whenever it gets switched off at bed time.
If you only use one light, (in your most popular room), and all the others in the house are just on for a few minutes as you move about, then GLS and halogen can still be the best.

I have to disagree that CFL is a better light than LED, (but thats just me), as I like lighting that cast sharp shadows, and you only seem to get that with halogen and LED, plus you can tell CFL by the UV that you can see in the light, (of these and all fluorescents), as a cool `feeling`, is that makes any sense.

90% of my home lighting runs from dark to 11.00pm, and for this LED filament is the best choice for me.
Welcome to OBLIVION
FrontSideBus

Re: LED to CFL trial

Postby FrontSideBus » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:06 pm

CFL all the way for me. I'm using NOS Philips PLE in 11w flavour, start at near enough full brightness, good quality of light and I know they'll last years. :)
Could probably get an LED that's like 5w but whoopdy Fcuking do... 6w saving isn't going to really make a difference...

Return to “Discharge Lighting, Lamps & Control Gear”