Clas Ohlson candle LED filament bulb failure

Anything regarding LED lighting
Flurofan96

Clas Ohlson candle LED filament bulb failure

Postby Flurofan96 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:33 pm

Back in Dec 2018 I trialled with 2x satin coated LED filament candle bulbs from Clas Ohlson which were their own brand

Installed both of them in our 5 arm chandlaier in our living room where halogen and incandescent is preferred

Today, 21st Aug this evening one started randomly flashing, like irregular in the fashion I thought we were going to lose power!! Although it hadn't gone fully EOL I must say it has practically gone half EOL!!!

My first EOLED experience in my house!!!! 9 months use for the 2 of them and one decided to crap out already!!!

Replacement is of course a 28W halogen branded Paul Russels
Slyspark

Re: Clas Ohlson candle LED filament bulb failure

Postby Slyspark » Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:12 pm

Not that surprising I'm afraid - had quite a high number of duff filament LED lamps that I've had to take back to various wholesalers. A lot go half-faulty, so some still lights fine, whilst the rest flashes. Utter crap, like most of this LED stuff....
Bad choices make good stories!
Flurofan96

Postby Flurofan96 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:23 am

Exactly!! Reason why I bought 2 was because 1: I have halogen candle lamps in the stock of my house and 2: expensive!!!!

At least I gave some LED lamps a proper try to see if they were good but sadly they are still made to crappy standards despite being the closest ideal replacement for frosted/opal incandescent lamps!!!

Now the reason why I don't want to get LEDS is I don't wanna support LED sales, using up precious resources and harsh light that may ruin your eyesight in long term use!! Its bad enough risking your eyesight with your IT electronics/equipment so don't add LED lighting for general lighting!!

IR emission from incandescent and halogen is much more beneficial to your health than a blue spiking LED lamp in your fixture
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:13 pm

Then you'll be pleased to know that due to a loophole in the regs, you can still get TRADITIONAL incandescent lamps, not those stupid eco halogen things, but PROPER lamps.

See: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index ... index.html
Flurofan96

Postby Flurofan96 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:29 pm

Looked at the link and this reminds me I did get candle lamps which were marked Traffic signal lamps with the Crompton badge, they didn't last too well and I think they tripped the CB in your house!!!

If you bought these lamps from the exact link you showed me, what was the brand of the marked traffic light lamps??
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:06 pm

Not purchased any of these, but I can confirm that they are indeed Crompton
Flurofan96

Postby Flurofan96 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:19 am

I'll get other branded proper 40W incandescent lamps. BELL 40W seem to be well made tbh for modern day standards

I went to a gig on Thursday at some pub in Hammersmith area and there were several half EOL candle LED filament lamps in the festoon string lighting setup inside the pub!! Utter horrid sight especially that they used clear versions!!!
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:35 pm

With LED household lamps, I tend to stick with what I know is good, B+Qs Diall brand are about the best, I have loads of Diall LED in use around our house, some are well over 4 years in constant use, and not one has faulted yet, the only LED fails I’ve had to date is one Megaman and an ETON branded GU10 the other night.
Welcome to OBLIVION
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:46 pm

Those Dial ones are what I pick up from Screwfix and stick in customers fittings if they just want a bog-standard lamp. They seem reasonable tbh...
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:21 pm

Or Wickes’s own, out of all the GU10 installed in our company, the Wickes ones have outlasted all the others!, although now we’re using a new wholesalers, I’m using GE ones now.
Welcome to OBLIVION

Return to “LED Lighting”