FSL 8w EOL on HF Matchbox - Cathodes Melts

Oliver

FSL 8w EOL on HF Matchbox - Cathodes Melts

Postby Oliver » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:32 pm

The FSL tube reached EOL. The cathode melted down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nA51zX ... e=youtu.be
Oliver

Re: FSL 8w EOL on HF Matchbox - Cathodes Melts

Postby Oliver » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:22 pm

This is what the ballast looks like. Quite impressed with it and it's done some good burnouts.
5345345345345345.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danny
Site Admin

Postby Danny » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:00 pm

Damn! Mine dont do that to them
Oliver

Postby Oliver » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:05 pm

It's great for finishing off tubes. This FSL never worked again after that. These HF matchbox ballasts seem quite good. Mine continues to work perfectly even after all the abuse - loads of EOL tubes and I used to have it 15 min on 15 min off, for a test I did once.
dor123

Postby dor123 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:27 pm

Hey!
I think that the Philips HF Matchbox, is just a CFL like ballast with an electrode fusing mechanism, so when the lamp reaches EOL, the ballast overloading the bad electrode to fuse it, and have a circuit that opens when the electrodes blowing up, rendering the lamp non-working.
I love see run-up and hot restrike of HID lamps, mainly on timed ignitors, and spectra of metal halide lamps.
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:46 pm

Matchbox Blue is just basic instant start. The Matchbox Red has all the fancy toys like warm start ect.
BC5-80

Postby BC5-80 » Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:18 pm

I'm surprised the EOL protection didn't kick in before it reached vacuum loss. I've had four Matchbox blue ballasts in daily use for years (3 x 13W T5 and 1 x 15W T8). They've gone through countless tubes and all have been shut down at EOL still with their cathodes intact.
I have a theory. The protection is activated by lamp rectification causing a DC offset in the load current. If the lamp is cheap with thin lead-in wires and surrounding structure that can sustain electron emission at orange heat without excessive rectification, vacuum loss will be the result without activating the protection. I saw it about to happen recently with a cheap 15W tube at EOL on 50Hz choke when the lead-in wire suddenly glowed bright orange. It was hardly flickering at the time. I switched it off just before vacuum loss and the bright orange glow slowly died down. A better quality lamp is not able to sustain electron emission from the cathode structure at normal operating current and voltage, probably because it's too substantial / thermal mass too high so can't get hot enough to incandesce / made from better materials. (That's my theory and I'm sticking to it. :))
dor123

Postby dor123 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:57 am

The electrode fusing is the ballast EOL protection here.
I love see run-up and hot restrike of HID lamps, mainly on timed ignitors, and spectra of metal halide lamps.
Oliver

Postby Oliver » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:46 pm

The HF Matchbox blue is instant start and the EOL protection is similar to a CFL where it will cut out when the cathode blows. With the cathodes shorted, it will run most EOL tubes and often give quite impressive EOLs.

Considering the amount use mine gets (and abuse) it's been reliable.
dor123

Postby dor123 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:24 am

You meaning: When only one wire connected to each end of the lamp, it will run most EOL lamps to vacuum loss?

Return to “YouTube Videos”