iwasaki have pulled the plug on mercs in japan

Any sort of discussion to do with any lighting whether it be vintage to modern!
Slyspark

Re: iwasaki have pulled the plug on mercs in japan

Postby Slyspark » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:56 pm

T8 will be gone before then. Current exception to ROHS regs (in this case, mercury ban) expires in 2021. Assuming they manage to get another 2yr extension, that's T8 gone by 2023 from the EU and UK....
Bad choices make good stories!
Andy

Postby Andy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:15 pm

This is a shame but not surprising sadly.

I reckon that fluorescent tubes will cease being manufactured well before 10 years is up. I think it’s highly likely that all production except UV tubes will have stopped within 5 years.
Oliver

Postby Oliver » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:06 am

Such a shame really. Especially for fluorescent fittings still in use and councils that still have mostly fluorescent sign lights. Luckily have a descent stock of fluorescent tubes!
Ash

Postby Ash » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:13 pm

T8 (along with T9 circline and SON) are targeted specifically by some green organizations in the EU

Those organizations claim that T8 can go because there is an adequate drop in replacement (LED tubes). While we know that it is far from adequate, in practice it is sufficient to keep fittigns functioning. Especially things like sign lighs where the light quality is unimporant and being dimmer in half won't be very noticable

Personally i am more concerned about our (and generally, people's) well being while being exposed to LED lighting for extended periods. The only experiments on which the EU bases their entire optical risk group classification, have been performed on rats for 48 hours. Researches showing problems had been pretty much silenced

A second concern is what other things (outside of the field of lighting) this is a precedent to. What other technologies, products, and eventually books and political parties will be banned so to prevent us idiots from choosing the wrong choice
Oliver

Postby Oliver » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:55 pm

Now ANY fluorescent lighting is seen as bad. Stores outright say LED is better although I have had LED lights in my house lasts 3 months and just 1 year. There are countless examples where I've seen good fittings replaced by LED fittings and seen them a few months later failed. Not long ago, saw a load of Menvier 2D fittings replaced by LED ones. The Menvier ones were reliable and it was rare to see one off. For some unknown reason, they were all ripped out and the LED ones are dropping like flies with

Working Menvier that's probably over 20 years old

The Tamlite crap that replaced them. Most failing after a couple of years most like 10 months.

lies...
Ash

Postby Ash » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:17 pm

Without this it would not get where it is

Even in many PFI schemes the payback from the conversion is not provided by energy savings as such, but by the EU directly paying cash (taxpayer's money from people inside the EU...) for the fact of replacement of lighting with LEDs

Israel is not a member of the EU, but even here it was just like that, involviong even UN money (which comes from the EU) as well as our own taxpayer's money via the ministry of energy

Return to “General Lighting Discussion”