Who can clear this one up re discharge lamps

Anything to do with discharge lamps mercury, SON, SOX etc and their control gear! Do you just need information on how to run a lamp correctly? Post it here!
PeterG

Who can clear this one up re discharge lamps

Postby PeterG » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:11 pm

When I was a kid, we had a load of floodlights in my local swimming pool. Very unusual - they were twin lamp and the floods themselves were massive with remote gear boxes. On the left hand lamp holder was a SON-T clear tube, and on the right hand lamp holder was another clear tubular lamp - looked exactly like a SON tube in terms of tubular and clear except this one produced light that was a lovely cool white with a blue-ish tint to it. Possibly 250 or 400w sort of size. I think the idea was that they could alter the colour temp of the room.

Anyone have any suggestions what those clear, tubular silver-blue output colour lamps might have been? - we're talking 1980's-1990's era so not too long ago. I'd be interested to know what they might have been running. Any thoughts appreciated. I assumed all mbfu lamps were elliptical and white/Phosphor coated but these definitely were clear tubes yet kicked out a silver-blue-ish light like mbfu.

Return to “Discharge Lighting, Lamps & Control Gear”