Who can clear this one up re discharge lamps

Any sort of discussion to do with any lighting whether it be vintage to modern!
PeterG

Re: Who can clear this one up re discharge lamps

Postby PeterG » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:09 pm

Yeah all those floods were in original mint condition complete with gear boxes. Gutted I couldn't save the damn things but the people who could have helped with that were elusive to say the least. Yeah that SC2 thing is a waste of space and of very poor design by comparison to the Sun centre and is one seriously ugly structure.

The sun centre will need discussing at the next meet up off-the record for numerous reasons - long story ;)
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:07 pm

Oh, that’s really depressing ;faint , just been looking at the SC2 website, the new build is soulless, bleached out and with very little design thought!
There’s no character like the old one had, none of the sandstone walls, no palm trees, no decorations at all!, the building looks a third of the size too, that’s so sad!

It’s good they built a new one, but it’s looks a half assed attempt just to keep people sweet! ;what
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:24 pm

Half assed is it - welcome to the new Denbighshire - and yeah it is a fraction of the size and a waste of tax payers money. As for the old sun centre - don't get me started lol, we can have a chat about it at the next meet - suffice to say the assets of Denbighshire have been squandered away
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:12 pm

Labour council?

A place not too far from me which we used to frequent as kids called Heatwaves in Stockbridge village was also demolished about 10 years ago which was a shame. Was demolished by the local Labour council to, surprise surprise, make way for a housing development which was probably one of the councillors chums and got a nice kickback for it...

Was quite an iconic building as the roof was supported by a big tall mast and a big external trestle which could be seen for miles. Inside there was no pillars or anything, just one big massive pool area.

I'm sure that place was lit by SON in big white floods. It had a wave machine and as a small kid in the early 90's that was like magic lol.
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:14 pm

Doesn't surprise me - and yes Denbighshire has majority of Labour. Never thought of it that way but now you say it it makes sense
James

Postby James » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:47 pm

The swimming pool in my old home town near Bristol had exactly the same arrangement of SON+HPI in red-painted HNF001. They never changed the colour, all lamps burned together and it gave an interesting effect on the rippling water to see the combination of orange and blueish reflections.
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:08 pm

The Sun Center looked its best at night, (sadly I don’t have a photo of that), but like James says, the mix of SON/HPI was amazing on water, and with the added bonus of SL lamps in the walkway lighting, coupled with the palm trees and yellows/reds and sky blue in the paint scheme, it was a tropical paradise at night!
For those who are not familiar with Rhyls iconic Sun Center here it is in its hayday, and compare this to its soulless replacement!
BE841FF9-CC14-4EA9-B370-F597C0ECEF67.jpeg
A7B837E5-FB0D-4091-82FA-191BA57C80AB.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AngryHorse on Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:10 pm

And it’s replacement!
5C000EF4-759C-428B-947C-48973744A348.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:08 pm

The swimming pool in my old home town near Bristol had exactly the same arrangement of SON+HPI in red-painted HNF001. They never changed the colour, all lamps burned together and it gave an interesting effect on the rippling water to see the combination of orange and blueish reflections.
That is exactly how I remember it - I loved the effect and plan to reproduce it hehe
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:11 pm

The Sun Center looked its best at night, (sadly I don’t have a photo of that), but like James says, the mix of SON/HPI was amazing on water, and with the added bonus of SL lamps in the walkway lighting, coupled with the palm trees and yellows/reds and sky blue in the paint scheme, it was a tropical paradise at night!
For those who are not familiar with Rhyls iconic Sun Center here it is in its hayday, and compare this to its soulless replacement!
BE841FF9-CC14-4EA9-B370-F597C0ECEF67.jpeg
A7B837E5-FB0D-4091-82FA-191BA57C80AB.jpeg
Well said. Just seen this post. Yes it was something special and all that lovely retro lighting was for me part of the experience. Real shame it all went but I'm working on reproducing the lighting effect of those big floods. I think I have identified the exact cold-colour lamp and colour temp now hehe

Return to “General Lighting Discussion”