Unusual 18w SOX floodlight

Anything to do with discharge lamps mercury, SON, SOX etc and their control gear! Do you just need information on how to run a lamp correctly? Post it here!
PeterG

Unusual 18w SOX floodlight

Postby PeterG » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:15 pm

Located on an old building in my area, I'd been after this very unusual 18watt sox flood light since I was a kid with no luck. The owner of the place was next to impossible to trace. Today however, I went for my exercise and walked a different route for a change which overlooked the building, where I spotted demolition crews about to knock it down - this light was fixed to the exterior wall. I ran over (socially distanced of-course!) and asked for it and amazingly, they just shrugged and said 'yeah sure', stopped the jcb which was seconds away from commencing smashing through the front wall - and this light to pieces with it, whipped out their tool kit, took it down and just gave it to me for nothing. Over 20 year of trying and nothing, and then...

Sometimes things just fall into place. Absolutely delighted. It's been up since the 80s and yet despite upwards of 35 years of exposure to the elements and salty coastal air, all it needed was a wash, 30 minutes of tlc and a new lamp and it fired into life without any hassle. Running silently for about 4 hours now. Quality. As you can see, no rust inside at all. What a find. There's no make or model on this beauty - if anyone has any idea of make and model I'd love to identify what it is.

UPDATE: I have it on good authority that the manufacturer is Disano Lighting of Italy, which would make sense as the choke inside it is Italian. Now to find the model number of this light as absolutely nothing comes up on google!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by PeterG on Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slyspark

Re: Unusual 18w SOX floodlight

Postby Slyspark » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:32 pm

That's very nice indeed! Any idea on make?
Bad choices make good stories!
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:40 pm

Cheers man. Yeah I remember playing under that flood as a kid so delighted to have it. Seconds later and it would have been smashed to pieces along with the building it was attached to. Have no idea what make it is but I bet someone will know. I've never seen this type anywhere else in my life. I vaguely remember seeing a picture of one once many years ago on lighting gallery but haven't been on that site for years now
Andy

Postby Andy » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:46 pm

Excellent save!
Just occasionally the planets align and things work out. It doesn't happen very often but you were lucky.

I have seen this model of 18w SOX light before on a house in Milton Keynes.
I believe they were made in the early 1980s.
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:55 pm

Exactly - stuff just falls in to place. Glad to know there were others out there, its clearly a manufactured product rather than a conversion, just have no clue where or by who it was made
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:52 pm

Don’t quote me on this, but something about this says Fitzgerald to me??, I’m sure I’ve seen this in a catalogue?
Welcome to OBLIVION
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:22 pm

Great save. I'm sure I've seen similar floods with 2-part CFL's in them.
Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 04, 2021 8:48 pm

Thats an awesome save that, really well done and great timing too. Regarding a manufacturer, I'd like to suggest GE, the cover looks very similar to that of my Tris 2D bulkhead.
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:56 pm

Don’t quote me on this, but something about this says Fitzgerald to me??, I’m sure I’ve seen this in a catalogue?
Interesting. I'll start looking in to that. The choke is Italian, so I'm also going to see if I can find any pictures of Italian SOX fittings...
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:57 pm

Great save. I'm sure I've seen similar floods with 2-part CFL's in them.
Wouldn't surprise me; I'm reliably told by an electrician friend down south that he maintains a school with some of these all in CFL - again they have no maker's badge on them but whatever they are it seems they were made in both CFL and SOX

Return to “Discharge Lighting, Lamps & Control Gear”