Unusual 18w SOX floodlight

Anything to do with discharge lamps mercury, SON, SOX etc and their control gear! Do you just need information on how to run a lamp correctly? Post it here!
PeterG

Re: Unusual 18w SOX floodlight

Postby PeterG » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:01 pm

Thats an awesome save that, really well done and great timing too. Regarding a manufacturer, I'd like to suggest GE, the cover looks very similar to that of my Tris 2D bulkhead.
Cheers man, yeah it was incredibly lucky. So glad to have it - its like new inside - the original lamp was burned out with the arc tube ruptured and that building hadn't been used to my knowledge in the last 20 years at least and closed off to the public so I reckon it burned one lamp (it was an old 80's tube in it), then simply sat dormant since until the power was cut.
Could be GEC; it'd be interesting to see if there are similarities to yours, but the choke in it is an Italian choke so I'm starting to wonder if its an Italian fitting? The mystery continues!
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:41 am

Someone who may know would be Zelandeth?, didn’t he find something similar to these when he moved into his new house?, if I remember correctly, they were in a boiler room?
Welcome to OBLIVION
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:52 pm

Someone who may know would be Zelandeth?, didn’t he find something similar to these when he moved into his new house?, if I remember correctly, they were in a boiler room?
Cheers for that - I've messaged him with a link to this thread in case he can help. FYI - I've had a reliable tip off that it was manufactured by Disano Lighting of Italy, which would make sense as the choke is Italian. Now to find the model number as absolutely nothing comes up on google for this light.
Zelandeth

Postby Zelandeth » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:50 am

We've got two of these floodlights out the back of our house, and there are a bunch of them in either SON or mercury form at Bletchley Park.

However I'm no closer to having the foggiest idea who actually made them than anyone here! As you say, no markings anywhere, and the ballasts in ours are standard Optima branded ones that I've seen used by several makers so they tell us nothing.

Given the cost of lamps these days ours will likely be (non-destructively) converted to something readily available when the lamps fail. Gear will all be retained in place though so it would be the work of seconds to return to factory spec. Just can't justify the cost of buying 18W SOX lamps these days for lights which are used half a dozen times a year!
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:10 pm

We've got two of these floodlights out the back of our house, and there are a bunch of them in either SON or mercury form at Bletchley Park.

However I'm no closer to having the foggiest idea who actually made them than anyone here! As you say, no markings anywhere, and the ballasts in ours are standard Optima branded ones that I've seen used by several makers so they tell us nothing.

Given the cost of lamps these days ours will likely be (non-destructively) converted to something readily available when the lamps fail. Gear will all be retained in place though so it would be the work of seconds to return to factory spec. Just can't justify the cost of buying 18W SOX lamps these days for lights which are used half a dozen times a year!
Fair play. I understand your decision to convert your from SOX given the price of tubes now. If you ever take them down and decide to sell though feel free to shout as I love these little floods. Thanks for the reply - much appreciated. It seems these funny little things never had any make or model badges in them then!. If you're interested, I can tell you that mine has now been identified as possibly Disano lighting of Italy which would tally with the fact that the choke is Italian but model is unknown. Thanks again for your reply

Return to “Discharge Lighting, Lamps & Control Gear”