When Neon isn't Neon...

Put anything here that's badly designed/made, failed, catastrophically exploded or just an epic fail in a general sort of way.
Slyspark

When Neon isn't Neon...

Postby Slyspark » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:37 am

Oh dear, someone needs a lesson in what neon actually is! It's certainly not the LED stuff they are trying to pass off as 'genuine neon'
Anyone else fancy raising a query with them.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bad choices make good stories!
Slyspark

Re: When Neon isn't Neon...

Postby Slyspark » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:43 am

Busted!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Oliver

Postby Oliver » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:28 pm

They can probably get away with it by calling it a "neon effect" in small print. I very rarely see REAL neon used however, you sometimes see it in modern places where it must have been specified. Real neon certainly beats LED with it's appearance. Neon usually lasts ages too, longer than the actual shop half of the time lol.

https://www.neoncreations.co.uk/

This is the company who do the modern ones that I see in shops.
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:49 pm

At the end of the day, telling me in their post that it IS genuine neon, not old glass tube lights is a lie. They have since come back to my later comment to tell me that LED is the new neon and old (genuine) neon is no more. What total bollocks. They should be calling what they sell 'Neon Effect' as that's all it is. The skill required to make this modern LED version is nothing compared to the skill required with the actual genuine article, as our very own Jon on here will confirm. The stuff he makes is nothing short of art. the stuff they are selling, whilst it looks ok, is not.

I wonder what the local Trading Standards would make of this, given that in my opinion, this is false advertising?

What next - people selling LED and saying it's fluorescent. Oh, wait...... :(
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:42 pm

Just more shyte presented as the real thing. That isn't neon and they should know better. Bless 'em
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:56 pm

Yup, more crap being mis-sold as the genuine item!
Ash

Postby Ash » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:13 am

It depends on how would the standards interpret Neon

You can say that to qualify as Neon it must contain Neon as part of it's principle of operation (whether as the main light source in a Red tube, or as component of the buffer gas in other colors)

As for the made in UK part. While i'm on the border as to whether cutting/bending a flexible cable made in China to shape qualifies for made in UK, they definitely dont have any edge over the "cheap competition", of which i dont think anyone would ship complete signs from China anyway even when it is made of 100% China components
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:46 am

I think at best, this qualifies as 'assembled in the UK from foreign parts' Can't really say 'made' in the UK, as none of the actual components were.
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:39 pm

;rfl ;rfl , I love that part, ‘say no to cheap imported Chinese signs’........
Er...........Where do you get your diode tape from again? ;rfl
Welcome to OBLIVION
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:43 pm

I suppose they are "neon signs" the same way people call vacuum cleaners "Hoover" no matter what brand it is...

Return to “Hall of Shame”