Bad lighting install causes death.

FrontSideBus

Bad lighting install causes death.

Postby FrontSideBus » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:16 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dyYApMTUCc
Sparky should have been jailed too IMO! Plenty of cowboy out there and something needs to be done tbh!
Slyspark

Re: Bad lighting install causes death.

Postby Slyspark » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:40 pm

That really is very sad! Any competent electrician should never have allowed that install to have been energised, the lack of an RCD being the first of many alarm bells that should have been ringing here. Proper testing of ANY new circuit should ALWAYS be carried out before connection - the earthing should have been verified at every single fitting. I agree with the guy in the video, that for installations like this, in a public area where kids are likely to be swinging on the fittings, that 12v might have been a sensible consideration - that, or proper commercial grade fittings....

Sadly, I see crap like this all the time tho!
Bad choices make good stories!
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:43 pm

Probably a result of cowboy builders who think electrics is piss, it doesn't take much work to lash up something that will work.
HIDLamp

Postby HIDLamp » Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:42 pm

Working for company that makes bespoke architectural lighting solutions some of the requests we get are quite worrying, we'll get people asking if we can do 100-300VDC outdoor light fittings, needles to say we don't, only SELV if it's outdoors, in or near water, exposed to extreme weather or where the public can touch it.
Then when stuff comes back faulty it's often down to poor installation, there was a local job I visited as a 24VDC inground light had gone out just out of warranty, when I got there and pulled it out of the ground the 'electrician' had simple soldered the luminaire cable to the supply cable, wrapped it in electrical tape then stuffed the whole thing in the ground (of course water up the cable = corroded PCB = £75 light needs rebuilding), this kind if crap happens on a near monthly basis, products come back faulty due to poor installation.

Return to “YouTube Videos”