Sox flood restoration

Any sort of discussion to do with any lighting whether it be vintage to modern!
PeterG

Sox flood restoration

Postby PeterG » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:20 pm

Another old rust bucket brought back from the brink of disaster. This time, its a 90w Sox flood. More to follow once shot blasted and powder coated...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Re: Sox flood restoration

Postby Kev » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:47 pm

Looks good are you doing your own welding? This is something I would love to know how to do
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:47 pm

Looking forward to seeing this completed!
Bad choices make good stories!
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:49 pm

A grinder and paint, makes me the welder I 'ain't :mrgreen:
Last edited by FrontSideBus on Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:50 pm

Looks good are you doing your own welding? This is something I would love to know how to do
Skills exchanged; I built something for the welder in the workshop and he did some welding for me in return - both getting stuff done without it costing either of us a penny which is nice. He uses a tig welder which will weld anything - copper, brass, steel, stainless, aluminium, even cast iron. For the tabs which hold the glass and that snapped off for example, that is copper tabs I made welded on to steel. Very useful. I plan to buy a tig welder at some point and do a welding course as its so damn useful and there are so many tuition videos now youtube for how to weld and tig is the bollocks. It'd be impossible to restore all this stuff without welding being involved. Tigs run off 13amp mains too which is handy
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:52 pm

Looking forward to seeing this completed!
Its going to join the pile of stuff I take to get shot blasted and powder coated - I always do job lots as it works out cheaper so that pile will be going off in a couple of months when I get time to take it over and have more items added to the pile. I'll be sure to post pictures once its done.
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:54 pm

A grinder and paint, makes me the welder I 'ain't :mrgreen:
lol tell me about it. It was a disgusting job grinding the rust out of this. So filthy. Industrial mask required. Its all welded up now the rust is cut out. Next stop is corrosion engineers to get shot blasted, filled and power coated so its like new, then re-assembly. Will take me a while as I always wait until I've got a big pile of stuff to take for shot blasting etc as it works out cheaper when you do bigger lots.
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:04 pm

With no gloves on, just make sure you don't touch the tungsten with the rod, you'll have an exciting time lol. :D
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:28 pm

We'll need progress shots I think!
Bad choices make good stories!

Return to “General Lighting Discussion”