Sox flood restoration almost complete - pictures

Any sort of discussion to do with any lighting whether it be vintage to modern!
PeterG

Sox flood restoration almost complete - pictures

Postby PeterG » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:20 pm

Evening all, following on from my pictures of the rust bucket sox flood, here she is after a bit of welding, blasting and colour match painting
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cobster

Re: Sox flood restoration almost complete - pictures

Postby Cobster » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:11 pm

Very, very nice. Mr. G. What gear is it running?
Just need something decent to floodlight with it now!
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:09 pm

Very, very nice. Mr. G. What gear is it running?
Just need something decent to floodlight with it now!
Cheers mate, its currently running the gear that it came with - a Thorn 90w SOX/140w SLI choke which I have other plans for, so the plan is to swap it out for an old grey Philips 5090BX choke which I have now managed to track down, as the flood is made by Philips and has 'Philips' cast in to the gear box below, so I wanted a choke to match it. In terms of condition, the flood is a long way from when I first started working on it - every bolt was seized, rust holes and gear box complete with water and spiders. It was almost a gonner but I got it back just in the nick of time and its now good for another fifty plus years as its been welded up, shot blasted and thick powder coated to its original colour and finish and I've replaced every nut, bolt and screw on it that couldn't be saved with brass. It may well outlive me now anyway!. Yeah funny you should say that re something to light up with it - I'm at the start of looking to save for a house, when I have the money and find the place it can light that ...or at least light up my future collection room which is something I haven't had space for since I started collecting 20 plus years ago, and is now on the 'essentials' list for any property I look at!
BC5-80

Postby BC5-80 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:41 pm

That looks amazing - a solid, long-lasting restoration.
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:57 pm

Looks good!
Ash

Postby Ash » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:01 pm

It came out awesome
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:16 pm

Given your previous restoration work, not surprised this has come out as well as it has!
Bad choices make good stories!
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:55 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for all the kind comments everyone. To anyone wanting to restore stuff but fearing it as a few have mentioned to me over the years - don't be frightened of having a go - its only about a bit of research - I strip everything down to nuts and bolts nowadays and I'm so used to dealing with horrid seized bolts where the heads snap off, rust holes and others nastiness but I've just got used to it now. There's always a way around something and you can get the finish you want when something is in pieces ready to put back together. When you have a play you get more and more used to assessing something before you start on it and its often easier to strip something to pieces and re-build it than it is to patch stuff up. The trick is only to take your time and do research on how to go about something as it makes your life so much easier. If you've never had a go before, start with something that doesn't matter if you damage it for a bit of practice. Anyone can do what I've done so have fun and enjoy!
BC5-80

Postby BC5-80 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:49 pm

You should get a spot on The Repair Shop. 8-)
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sun May 02, 2021 5:33 pm

You should get a spot on The Repair Shop. 8-)
Very kind to say. I wouldn't know where to start with that but I do like restoring things - the trickier it is the more satisfying it is when you win! :D

Return to “General Lighting Discussion”