The longest claimed lifetime I have ever seen

Anything regarding LED lighting
Oliver

The longest claimed lifetime I have ever seen

Postby Oliver » Fri May 07, 2021 8:49 pm

Indo claims 250k hours on this light. That's 28.5 years if run 24/7.
32323234.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slyspark

Re: The longest claimed lifetime I have ever seen

Postby Slyspark » Fri May 07, 2021 9:47 pm

It's got the magic 'get out of jail free' clause tho - 'UP TO' which translated means the odd one might just manage that. Kind of like stores who advertise 'up to 50% off' and you then find that only 2 items are that heavily discounted and the rest have far less discount. It's annoying, but technically not illegal.
Bad choices make good stories!
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sat May 08, 2021 8:15 am

I dunno, that’s pretty brave if their putting a 10 year warranty on them??
Welcome to OBLIVION
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Sat May 08, 2021 9:04 am

Might get 10 I guess, but unlikely to get the 25 odd years....

Still, I'm sure there will be all kinds of exclusions, such as 'its not been installed correctly' or 'you didn't register it'
Bad choices make good stories!
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Sun May 09, 2021 9:00 am

They have always played with lifespan figures, I mean when they bragged a SON lamp will last for 30,000 hours, that was just to 50% failures...
Oliver

Postby Oliver » Sun May 09, 2021 10:29 am

I think LEDs on their own can last a long time if they are high quality and designed well but most of the time (especially with cheaper ones) they run too hot and the LEDs are overdriven. Also the driver could burn out before the LEDs which I have seen before. If those Indo ones have been designed well and have good cooling, then they probably will last 10 years and I doubt many of them will be running 24/7 anyway. Even if they are running 12 hours on 12 hours off, in 10 years that is only 43,800 hours. Also I have a felling that if they burn out before 10 years is up, most of their customers probably won't claim on the warranty, they will just be replaced and binned I can imagine.

These lights are meant to last a long time because they "connect directly into mains supply".
indo.PNG
I would say very expensive lights like those Indo ones probably will get good lifetime but as for the cheap commercial and domestic lighting, most of them will always be crap. The amount of LED lights I see failed is unbelievable. I know a place where they have loads of those daylight LED downlights and loads have either dimmed out, gone off, or flashing. Just the other day I saw an LED weatherproof light flashing away after less than 5 years.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ash

Postby Ash » Sun May 09, 2021 8:10 pm

It says that "advanced circuitry" is somehow better than "dedicated driver" ? Elaborate please ? O_o
Oliver

Postby Oliver » Tue May 11, 2021 11:48 am

Yeah, I thought that was a bit of a strange statement. The "advanced circuitry" just sounds like another word for a driver. Also, I think people rarely just replace the LED driver and I would disagree that it's the driver that usually fail. It more like 50/50. To be honest, most of the LED lights I have seen fail, it's actually the LEDs that have failed. Sometimes I see the odd LED off or flashing, dimmed out, which then causes the driver to fail.

Return to “LED Lighting”