Is this wise?, or backward and stupid?

Anything at all to do with street lighting! Thats everything from vintage to modern! Their control gear, columns or just anything you need help with! You name it, post it here!
AngryHorse

Is this wise?, or backward and stupid?

Postby AngryHorse » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:07 pm

Hypothetically speaking?, if you’re house had had SOX installed for outside lighting for years, then over those years you ran out of lamps, so you fitted SON!, then you got bored with SON, and started to experiment with compact halide lamps, only to find the heat from them destroyed your bowl, so you went back to SON!, then you got bored of SON again, so you went backwards in time, and sense!, and re-fitted your outside light with a mercury lamp!……….
…….bear with me here……..

Then a year after your town lost its SOX street lighting of 36 years you acquire an LED lantern of the same type as the ones in the street, and you fit that to blend in with the surroundings, then finally after 4 years of modern white LED light both at the front and rear……………

………….would you be crazy enough to fit an Alpha 1 running 90 watt obsolete lamps?
Welcome to OBLIVION
Danny
Site Admin

Re: Is this wise?, or backward and stupid?

Postby Danny » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:24 pm

Yes fit it, that is all i have to say on the matter!
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:36 pm

The sudden return to yellow light might get a few comments from people! A better choice tho than LED any day!
Bad choices make good stories!
Andy

Postby Andy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:11 am

It sounds like an awesome idea Rich!
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:14 pm

Anything not LED get's my vote lol
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:50 pm

The sudden return to yellow light might get a few comments from people! A better choice tho than LED any day!
That’s my main concern!, our street has been white for almost 5 years now, and the estate behind me, it would be kind of noticeable!, especially with a 90, and especially in an A1!
Welcome to OBLIVION
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:28 pm

Fuck 'em. :mrgreen: Admittedly an A1 isn't the best lantern for cutoff performance lol.

I'm in the opposite situation. I've had the SOX going for so long, going to a white source might get comments lol.
Danny
Site Admin

Postby Danny » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:54 pm

I suppose you could go a little lower, Rich and go for a 55w in the Alpha 1? Worst comes to worst i think you can stick your hand in the opticell and move the lamp support down one

I wanted an Alpha 1 up ages ago and i was going to use a 55w lamp. but never got round to it, and am happy with what i have up now.
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:52 pm

Lantern is April 1985, and there’s only one position the lamp support can be in, but if you were going for the A1, 90 watt is it’s default lamp, don’t think I’ve ever seen one carrying a 55?
I took it to work this morning to re-build the connection shoe, took me 3 hours to carefully un-seize the little connection tray with the blocks on, and one of it’s grub screws needed heating up with the plumbing pipe gun before it even attempted to move!
It’s now clean and rewired and I’m going to put it on the ‘test’ spigot in the loft! ;bravo

Pictures in a couple of hours ;cheers
Welcome to OBLIVION
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:33 pm

Nice.

Return to “Street Lighting”