Reading: The introduction of the mv reflector lamps at the end of the 50s in Europe

Anything to do with discharge lamps mercury, SON, SOX etc and their control gear! Do you just need information on how to run a lamp correctly? Post it here!
Olav

Reading: The introduction of the mv reflector lamps at the end of the 50s in Europe

Postby Olav » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:49 pm

This post will not be complete. The topic is "Introduction of mv reflector lamps in Europe in the 50s".

In this post I am using documents from Germany. I will try to translate the most important content. Corrections can be suggested.
A very important magazine for the lighting technology industry in West Germany was the "Licht-Technik" (light technology).
In this magazine trade fair reports were shown from Germany, Western Europe and, more rarely, from Eastern Germany.
Hints on the introduction of mv reflector lamps come from three different magazines.
The first information is from 1956:

Source: Licht-Technik Nr.5/1956, page 203

Only a short text:

Bei Radium wurde ein spot-light 12 V, 50 W in sehr kleiner Abmessung vorgeführt, außerdem auch Breitstrahlerlampen 100 und 150 W sowie Hallenstrahler 250 und 500 W mit enger Lichtbündelung.
Eine Quecksilberdampf-Hochdrucklampe mit aufgedampftem Metallspiegel schien uns neu zu sein.

Translation by Google:

At Radium, a spot-light 12 V, 50 W in very small dimensions was demonstrated, as well as wide-beam lamps 100 and 150 W and hall spotlights 250 and 500 W with narrow light bundling.
A high-pressure mercury vapor lamp with a vapor-deposited metal mirror seemed new to us.

Unfortunately there is no photo of this lamp. In the prospectus from 1960, i.e. 4 years later, this picture appears:

Source: RADIUM High Pressure Mercury Lamps, July 1960, page 20

It is very likely that the shape of the outer bulb was exactly the same in 1956. This is the typical construction of RADIUM with the small tenon.

The next reference to an HPL-R lamp from PHILIPS is in an advertisement in 1958:

Source: Licht-Technik Nr.2/1958, page 69

This advertisement shows the outer bulb shape from the PHILIPS-ALTRILUX, used also for the HPL-R lamps from PHILIPS in this time.

The next reference to an HPL-R lamp from OSRAM can be read in a report in 1959:

Source: Licht-Technik Nr.6/1959, page 306

This is the outer bulb shape, as it was later adopted by almost all manufacturers.
OSRAM shows this lamp in the list from April 1959:

Source: OSRAM Liste Q-M-Na, April 1959

I am grateful for additions and corrections. Thanks for supporting me to James and magslight.

Regards

Olav
FrontSideBus

Re: Reading: The introduction of the mv reflector lamps at the end of the 50s in Europe

Postby FrontSideBus » Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:52 am

Interesting!

Return to “Discharge Lighting, Lamps & Control Gear”