M1 Catenary lighting

Anything at all to do with street lighting! Thats everything from vintage to modern! Their control gear, columns or just anything you need help with! You name it, post it here!
PeterG

M1 Catenary lighting

Postby PeterG » Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:41 pm

Many years ago I was on the M1 at about 3am and took a picture of the twin 180w catenary lighting before it was removed. I found that picture today having a right good sort out. Here it is for anyone interested. I still say that this was the best lit road in the country due to those twin 180 w cats and their placement.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dor123

Re: M1 Catenary lighting

Postby dor123 » Fri Aug 30, 2024 3:17 pm

Much better than LED.
I had the situation at Road 4 that passes the Kerayot towns when I was a kid, where there were lots of cetenary AEG 135/180W SOX lanterns. Since they looked linear, I thought they are fluorescents, but wondered about their orange glow.
At my maturity, all of these AEG SOX lanterns didn't worked and some flashed red. I didn't know why they flashing red.
After that, all of these AEG SOX lanterns has been replaced with AEG Seilkoffer 250 lanterns with 250W HPS lamps.
I love see run-up and hot restrike of HID lamps, mainly on timed ignitors, and spectra of metal halide lamps.
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:19 pm

Much better than LED.
I had the situation at Road 4 that passes the Kerayot towns when I was a kid, where there were lots of cetenary AEG 135/180W SOX lanterns. Since they looked linear, I thought they are fluorescents, but wondered about their orange glow.
At my maturity, all of these AEG SOX lanterns didn't worked and some flashed red. I didn't know why they flashing red.
After that, all of these AEG SOX lanterns has been replaced with AEG Seilkoffer 250 lanterns with 250W HPS lamps.
Amazing. I'd love to go back in time to see what was around when I was a kid and before that too
Andy

Postby Andy » Sat Aug 31, 2024 12:16 am

Lovely photo!
I remember that stretch of the M1 very well. It was beautifully lit, such a shame that it is no longer lit properly and never will be.
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:25 pm

Lovely photo!
I remember that stretch of the M1 very well. It was beautifully lit, such a shame that it is no longer lit properly and never will be.
Yeah it takes me back that strip of lighting. Those were the days

Return to “Street Lighting”