Before and after SOX

Anything at all to do with street lighting! Thats everything from vintage to modern! Their control gear, columns or just anything you need help with! You name it, post it here!
PeterG

Before and after SOX

Postby PeterG » Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:51 pm

Going through old pictures and found some I took of before and after SOX replacement to LED. Pictures taken in exactly the same places using the same camera with the same settings. No enhancement or image manipulation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Danny
Site Admin

Re: Before and after SOX

Postby Danny » Fri Aug 30, 2024 6:51 pm

Have you ever found our gallery pete? Uploading photos there would make them get seen more?
Beta 5

Postby Beta 5 » Fri Aug 30, 2024 7:44 pm

Nice photos! For some reason SOX often looks quite reddish on camera. Looks a lot more shadowy under the LED and the edges of the path etc less well lit.
Fluorescent Forever
Ash

Postby Ash » Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:19 pm

Thats what i found out when i took similar before and after pics in my town, which was lit by SON

The light levels dropped 4-fold, from continuously lit areas to dim patches under lanterns and lots of glare from lens panel luminaires. But on camera the SON appears disproportionally dimmer and with zero color rendering (while it really does have considerable color rendering, sufficient to actually see in full color), while the LED lighting appeared disproportionally better than it really is - Bright and continuous

Part of it is due to the sensitivity spectrum of the camera sensors, but another part of it is due to our brain's ability to complete what we see to large extents when the ligthing isn't working against our eyesight - A very real capability, which is not getting any fair representation in Lux and Lumen figures. This capability does not work on a picture that was taken by a camera and is displayed on screen
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:23 pm

Have you ever found our gallery pete? Uploading photos there would make them get seen more?
I think I've worked out how to use it and just made a couple of albums. Hopefully they work as they should
Last edited by PeterG on Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:23 pm

Thats what i found out when i took similar before and after pics in my town, which was lit by SON

The light levels dropped 4-fold, from continuously lit areas to dim patches under lanterns and lots of glare from lens panel luminaires. But on camera the SON appears disproportionally dimmer and with zero color rendering (while it really does have considerable color rendering, sufficient to actually see in full color), while the LED lighting appeared disproportionally better than it really is - Bright and continuous

Part of it is due to the sensitivity spectrum of the camera sensors, but another part of it is due to our brain's ability to complete what we see to large extents when the ligthing isn't working against our eyesight - A very real capability, which is not getting any fair representation in Lux and Lumen figures. This capability does not work on a picture that was taken by a camera and is displayed on screen
That's what I've notice - patchy lighting almost everywhere now
PeterG

Postby PeterG » Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:24 pm

Nice photos! For some reason SOX often looks quite reddish on camera. Looks a lot more shadowy under the LED and the edges of the path etc less well lit.
Exactly my thoughts. Thanks; I tried to get the shots as accurate as possible for comparison. Was a sad day when every lamp post in Manchester went LED, there were some very interesting lanterns all over that city - even Wardle lanterns in some places still mounted on concretes

Return to “Street Lighting”