Pointless pendant extension.

Put anything here that's badly designed/made, failed, catastrophically exploded or just an epic fail in a general sort of way.
HIDLamp

Pointless pendant extension.

Postby HIDLamp » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:22 pm

So at my cafe job we had a 12inchish pendant light with a BC holder and an 11W Philips Genie that had gone EOL, with no lamp shade so it looked fugly on the nice victorian arched ceiling. Well after many months the National Trust decided to get an electrician out to fix it. The Genie was about 4 metre above the ground and the fitting is located in an alcove where the main room enters into a tower of the building so it was hidden out of sight. If I was going to repair this I would have got a ladder and gone up popped a new lamp in, put a shade on it while I was up, and been done with it. However the sparks the National Trust decided the lamp needed to hang another metre lower with an L.E.D fitted. So now as soon as you enter the room you're eyes are immediately drawn to the glare bomb dangling below the arch-way so now it's even more fugly as it still has no shade. When I asked why it was like this they said the sparks couldn't reach it off their ladders. I smell some bull there. Never mind that we have 6' SS fluors that must be a goo 10 or 11 metres up and they can access those fine.
Slyspark

Re: Pointless pendant extension.

Postby Slyspark » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:19 pm

Ah! Good old National Trust! I'm on the books for them, so in theory, any property can call me out. They have some interesting rules and regs. This sounds to me like it's one of those 'too high to reach safely and someone might get hurt' piles of bollocks they love to sprout!
Bad choices make good stories!
HIDLamp

Postby HIDLamp » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:24 pm

They have no problem with their care taker doing some lights. (Just incase you're wondering it's Wray Castle and I don't work for the trust as it's a non-trust cafe). What intrigues me is that if they couldn't reach the lamp how did they get to the rose to extend it. Anyway I've asked if we could have a shade of some form put on it.
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:28 pm

This is what you get when a committee decides everything, dispute having no understanding of what they're actually there to make decisions about, which seems to be how they work. I'm surprised he didn't have to go off and consult someone first!
HIDLamp

Postby HIDLamp » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:32 pm

They came in the day before to look at it but I wasn't in the day they did the work. So they knew exactly what was needed
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:35 pm

Bet the decision here was taken by someone at the trust and not the electrician themselves!
HIDLamp

Postby HIDLamp » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:40 pm

I have no idea. I just keep out of it. A couple of months ago they ripped out all the drum bulkheads and 5' strip lights , in the basement for 16W 2D bulkheads for no particular reason as it's not open to the public down there so cosmetics aren't a problem. I did save the porcelein lamp holder from the drums and quite a few super slims from the skip. Like I said though I let them get on with it and keep out the way as I don't want to be involved.
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:45 pm

Very wise! The battens they removed, all 5' single Superslims then? Nice! Got a load of acrylic trough reflectors for those!
HIDLamp

Postby HIDLamp » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:54 pm

All the superslims are single and coated in emulsion, two are refubishable the third is spares really as the cover plate has rusted through and the main body in badly dented in a few places. I think there was a 4' Ring, a 4' Poppack (both with David now), a twin 5' Tamlite with one burnt out ballast, a 6' poppack, a 2' Poppack and 6' HF weather pack that's like new. I'm looking at getting shot of some stuff not sure what yet. Deffo not the 2' though.
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:59 pm

Ah well, if you ever get rid of any 5' single superslims let me know :) All the ones in the abandoned factory I went round are beyond salvation sadly :(

Return to “Hall of Shame”