Induction lamp

Any sort of discussion to do with any lighting whether it be vintage to modern!
Mrstreetlight

Induction lamp

Postby Mrstreetlight » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:37 pm

Hi All

Have a question on induction lamps. I have a induction lantern which doesn't work, i don't knod what the wattage is someone told me if i use a electoral ballast on it for a normal 50w or 70w lantern the ballast should adjust to the wattage of the lamp if its around the 50 70w?

I wouldn't mind seeing if this works!

James
AngryHorse

Re: Induction lamp

Postby AngryHorse » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:11 pm

Hmm I don`t know, HF ballasts are designed for lamps with cathodes, I don`t know what the driver configuration has to be for a power oscillator?
Welcome to OBLIVION
Kev

Postby Kev » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:05 pm

It's fucked unless you send me the driver chance I maybe able to fix it if not just convert it to 22W T9 Circline on switch start probably last longer :lol: :roll:
Danny
Site Admin

Postby Danny » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:58 pm

That's not a bad idea kev
Mrstreetlight

Postby Mrstreetlight » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:41 am

I wouldn't mind that idea Kev we have a spare T9 circline lamp in the depot, you're welcome to try end fix the driver on mine :)

We have these PL-T ballasts in our yard which i'd like to try as they take 4 wires same as the induction lamp its adjustable wattage would it be worth giving that a go?
Kev

Postby Kev » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:31 pm

I can whole heartedly say I would be amazed if that worked and didn't just blow the ballast up. The induction lamp works off a coil around the lamp and not off cathodes like a normal fluorescent
Last edited by Kev on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
amtrakuk

Postby amtrakuk » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:59 pm

Were using induction in the kitchen. The simplex has been removed while the ceiling finally gets its holes filled and then painted. As a Temp measure put a pendant and and tried out the two inductions I have (both 5k so pretty cool). Even a 30 watt gave the same amount of light as the T8 65 watt. The 40 watt is half way between the 65 watt and 2 x 70 watt. Performance wise very good, just a shame the lamps are so huge!
amtrakuk

Postby amtrakuk » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:03 pm

[quote="Kev"]I can whole heartedly say I would be amazed if that worked and didn't just blow the ballast up. The induction lamp works off a cool around the lamp and off cathodes like a normal fluorescent[/quote

Yeah your right Kev. Induction lamp gear is not designed to drive electrodes as in a normal fluorescent tube, the driver will pop as it wont have the ability to strike the tube. And Induction lamp doesn't have electrodes, it works on Tesla's principles of induction. An induction "tube" doesn't have electrodes, The light is produced by HF magnetic fields though coils wrapped around the tube exciting mercury within the tube. More info on http://www.edisontechcenter.org/InductionLamps.html

Return to “General Lighting Discussion”