Oh dear more money wasted ....

Anything at all to do with street lighting! Thats everything from vintage to modern! Their control gear, columns or just anything you need help with! You name it, post it here!
Danny
Site Admin

Oh dear more money wasted ....

Postby Danny » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:42 pm

Bad news today, aurora (Balfour Beatty) that work in partnership with Sunderland council have announced that they are to start an "invest to save" programme :roll: this means that all their street lighting stock is to go LED. This is baring in mind that 8 years ago they completed their PFI which seen everything go mag gear SON iridiums. With most of the lanterns barely 7-10 years old, they're all to come out and be replaced with LED ALL 48,000 iridiums that are probably lucky if they're on their second lamp. What a absolute utter load of bull shit and waste of money and lanterns. Absolutely disgusted.
http://www.auroraltd.com/LEDFAQ.aspx
Slyspark

Re: Oh dear more money wasted ....

Postby Slyspark » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:06 pm

About right these days. Surprised they lasted that long. People seem to have a thing for throwing away perfectly decent, fully serviceable stuff in the name of saving the planet. No one seems to consider the massive pile of waste produced in the process.
Bad choices make good stories!
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:34 am

I just LOVE this bit!

Why LED lighting?
"LED lighting has a much longer lifespan, requires a lot less maintenance and it is extremely energy efficient returning at least a 50% saving over our existing sodium lights. "

Some one on here needs to `hack` their site and tell the truth! ;cool
Welcome to OBLIVION
HIDLamp

Postby HIDLamp » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:44 pm

The word 'brainwashed' has come to mind
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:59 pm

the words 'utter bollocks' spring to mind!
Bad choices make good stories!
amtrakuk

Postby amtrakuk » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:48 pm

Its a disposable eara... I think our Mini Iridium/Cosmos and Iridium/SON are similar age (< 10 years). More and more are being replaced by LED with Energy saving and reduced maintenance being the logic. I can kind of agree on the Energy saving as LCC can't afford to to keep a lot of the lamps lit between midnight and 5am.

I was chatting to Leeds UTC and we were joking about the fact the council has spent all the money on street lighting with none available for the Traffic Control PFI hence having cheap and cheerful PEEK kit. Some of the signals and controllers are about 30 years old and UTC have been told there is no money to replace whilst they are still working. Only to be upgraded if it is killed in a RTA.
Gabes

Postby Gabes » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:41 pm

Since I live in the Sunderland area, I'll try to save some Iridiums, I just think it's sad to see something as good as the Iridiums to go after such a short time :(
Danny
Site Admin

Postby Danny » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:33 am

Ots an absolute outrage!!!!
Arrowslim

Postby Arrowslim » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:11 pm

They have started replacing SOX here with ridiculous glare bomb LED shit. granted the colour is better, but the glare is proper crap
XmasLightGuy

Postby XmasLightGuy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:02 am

got a little surprise on the weekend when driving by a spot where they are widening the road:
new streetlights + poles.....and they are SON :cool:

Return to “Street Lighting”