SON rule!!

Anything to do with discharge lamps mercury, SON, SOX etc and their control gear! Do you just need information on how to run a lamp correctly? Post it here!
AngryHorse

SON rule!!

Postby AngryHorse » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:59 pm

I just happened to be in the garden a minute ago when my trusty Sangamo fires my O/S lighting circuit into tonight`s run.
Its fascinating to see 3 different lamps all have 3 different ways of running up.

The 50watt Philips PIA starts quite a bright blue, sputters the most, but quickly turns orange to run up to full output quite fast.
The 70watt Venture in the Astra, starts a very dim blue/grey and slowly builds up its light changing from blue/gray to orange and so on.

But by far the best in my 50watt GE Lucalox, this, (like the Venture), starts a very dull blue/gray, slowly starts to change orange, at what point all these vivd colours come out :D , from orange it goes to a bright blue, then changes from this to a perfect bright, Cosmo warm white, before the sodium once again takes over the discharge to bring that awsome SON colour that we all know!

Its only the GE that does this, and must be the amalgam reservoir that brings this pallet of colours out as it heats up.

Either way it make the HPS lamp one of the most awsome af all the HID lamps!
Welcome to OBLIVION
Kev

Re: SON rule!!

Postby Kev » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:54 pm

I agree rich SON is ace and one of my favourite light sources.
I'm not too sure what to make of the ones in pool school car park they all seem nice and golden still and the light output from the rest of the lights is good! It's only the 1 failure out of the 20 odd!
The lanterns however are awsome hats off to the iridium the 2002 lanterns are MINT inside no different to the day they were fitted and not one has had any fault other than lamp or cell.
Can't see the LED lanterns lasting this long that's for sure! Thinking about it don't think I have an iridium in the collection must look at changing this soon.
Danny
Site Admin

Postby Danny » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:25 pm

i agree you cannot beat a SON Lamp, especially GEs, SON & sox in favourities are both balancing on me at the minute i love them both equally
amtrakuk

Postby amtrakuk » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:00 pm

Well I like induction lol

No seriously SON does take some beating if the correct lamp is used it can be very affective and used everywhere its perfect for so many applications from flood lighting to street lighting. Also after 10 days of using induction in the kitchen whilst it was getting painted I got quite used to quite like it.
Nick217

Postby Nick217 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:48 pm

Its just a shame son was not wattage corrected as such.. Like we never saw 35w son like they had in usa.. It would be comparable to cfl and led for the "lower wattage is better" lot..
amtrakuk

Postby amtrakuk » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:28 pm

Never understood that nick. So adjusting the wattage basically like someone waking up and saying "Eeeyy up (very Yorkshire). Lets make these look more efficient and lets call this 70 watt lamp a 35 watt"?

Return to “Discharge Lighting, Lamps & Control Gear”