First MBF, then SOX, now SON!!!

Anything at all to do with street lighting! Thats everything from vintage to modern! Their control gear, columns or just anything you need help with! You name it, post it here!
Kev

Re: First MBF, then SOX, now SON!!!

Postby Kev » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:57 pm

Well it's going to be very boring in your area then rich!
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:09 pm

Well when I say old mercury columns, its the original concrete ones that the mercurys were on that got replaced with Beta 5s, (not an actual existing MBF installation).
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:28 pm

Everything seems to have gone quiet at the minute!, about 80 odd concrete columns were pulled from both St Anns road, and Warmingham Lane in January, and new steel columns and 20watt UniStreets fitted, but the worse and most crumbling columns along Sutton Lane remain, still with their SOX lanterns!, (which is odd), as from a H+S point of view I would have got rid of these first!
thorncollector

Postby thorncollector » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:00 pm

up here in inverness and the rest of the highland council area everything is going to led in the next 18 months. they have started ripping out for led cosmo iridiums that are hardly a couple of years old, most of the 70-250w son has been changed to led. sox is going aswell although slowly.
the son 150w iridiums have been converted to 68w led a retrofit which goes in the lantern body. these are actually quite impressive. the same goes for sapphire 2 lanterns they are being converted to led.
aberdeenshire yards where i visit are going led aswell. the whole of scotland is getting money for led streetlighting from the government, i believe edinburgh is going led aswell
my concern with led is the long term reliability how often will the drivers fail, i doubt they will last the same time as old leak transformers used for sox. Some ones i got from here are from the 60's and 70's and still working fine. time will tell
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:20 pm

I'm noticing as I look out my window, the clouds are starting to turn white instead of orange at night... :(
Kev

Postby Kev » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:25 pm

Butchering perfectly good iridiums for 68W led sounds shit to me!
Kev

Postby Kev » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:28 pm

Philips shot theirselves in the face with the price of the lamps. If they kept them reasonable similar to the price of SON like Cornwall council expected them to drop down to then it would be more likely that councils wouldn’t be removing so quickly. Cornwalls reason for removal was the bankruptcy of Harvard.

Return to “Street Lighting”