Static upgrading?

Anything at all to do with street lighting! Thats everything from vintage to modern! Their control gear, columns or just anything you need help with! You name it, post it here!
AngryHorse

Static upgrading?

Postby AngryHorse » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:56 am

Well I`ll kick off the road lighting page! :roll: , after reading all of the PFI upgrades on the other lighting sites, here in our little piece of Cheshire, NOTHING is going on!

Only a handfull of LED are starting to appear, these being DW Windsor Kiriums, but its static with everything else.
Cheshire East council seem to be not bothering, or very secretive with upgrades!, at one time you could go on the site and pull up a list of where lighting was going to be changed.

Not anymore though, I checked last night, and all the data sheets have been removed from the site, saying only that people will be notified when work is carried out.
But the good thing is, new columns are still being fitted with Arcs and 50watt SON, but oddly the bowls coming off the Beta 5s are not getting replaced anymore?????, what have they got in mind I wonder?
Welcome to OBLIVION
Kev

Re: Static upgrading?

Postby Kev » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:29 pm

That's a shame rich wonder what they are planning??? If anything. Seems the plymouth spend to save scheme is almost complete. There are some areas now they may aswell of just pulled the columns the urbis amperas is horridly dim
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:38 pm

Most of our residential concrete column are still in good order, (these were the original 1960 ones), that had the mercury lamps on them.
If anywhere here, its Sutton Lane that will need doing first, these are concrete columns, but late 50s early 60s ones, parts of which are starting to crumble, but again I can`t access any data as to what will be done?
Welcome to OBLIVION
Kev

Postby Kev » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:25 pm

Get some photos of them rich as they could be removed at any time would be good to see what you have up in that area! Would be too later after they are all gone!
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:18 pm

I can give you a street view, here, you can see from the lantern held together with tape!, their due for a re-fit, the colums on the image look a bit worse for wear in person.
Welcome to OBLIVION
sailormoon_01_uk

Postby sailormoon_01_uk » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:34 pm

It's a shame they are getting replaced they are my favourite Lanterns, the GEC Z9480/90, Bootle in Liverpool had 1000's of them but all have gone since 2000/2003 for WRTL 2600's and Deltas.

If Possible it would be worth Saving one or two.
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:03 am

Not sure of these lanterns age, but their fitted with the old `open coil` autoleaks, as one a few years ago started to buzz quite loudly!
One or two have been re-sleeved and had a Vectra fitted to it, and I don`t think theres one good bowl on any of them anymore.
The sad thing is, when their re-lamped, they don`t even bother to clean the bowls anymore, so all are quite dim at night, another thing that tells me their life is almost up.
Welcome to OBLIVION
Danny
Site Admin

Postby Danny » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:04 am

Yeah sounds like their time may be limited. I have been extremely lucky here as when the 5 areas around me have been done in the LED scheme I have been there with the lads for every column and saved just about every lamp removed and at least 50 lanterns. I was only out with them yesterday and the day before filling my boots. I think it's coming this good to me cos this will be one of the last times I see them I think. The big main road LED scheme along my street and through cassop is now complete as of yesterday morning. And the side street LED scheme in this village complete as of Monday. They started off with changing the lanterns on all 5&6m columns to Thorn Isaro 16w and 20w led lanterns around September 2013 then they moved onto the small Isaro then the Axia and they seem to of just stuck with the axia now. But 2 years on they are nearly finished the 5&6m columns and speaking to one of the gaffers yesterday revealed that once 5&6m columns are done they'll be moving onto the main roads and the wooden poles. Give that 2 years and this county will be totally LED. There's more to save yet!

Return to “Street Lighting”