Poor 'Upgrades' You've Seen Whilst Buying Their Old Stuff?

Put anything here that's badly designed/made, failed, catastrophically exploded or just an epic fail in a general sort of way.
fluorescent

Poor 'Upgrades' You've Seen Whilst Buying Their Old Stuff?

Postby fluorescent » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:44 pm

So I collected a few bits the other day from someone local, A few T8 & T12 tubes and 7x fluorescent battens including a couple of nice old Pop-Packs that the seller had just removed in favour of an "LED upgrade". He seemed quite excited to show me this upgrade in his large workshop (3-4 car garage size)...

As I walked into the workshop I almost burst out laughing, he had installed 6x standard B22 lamp holders fitted with god awful daylight LED lamps, think they were 9 watts so probably in the region of 700-800 lumens each. He was impressed at how "bright" it was, I just politely agreed, I couldn't bring myself to say anything. It really wasn't bright at all, I'm sure you can imagine how dim and shadowy it was. I certainly wouldn't want to work in there all day long.

So, what terrible upgrades have you seen when collecting the sellers old stuff that they've just removed?
Country life, vintage lights and a gin & tonic
Slyspark

Re: Poor 'Upgrades' You've Seen Whilst Buying Their Old Stuff?

Postby Slyspark » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:53 am

Haha, that's all you can do really - laugh!
Bad choices make good stories!
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:09 am

Pretty much any discharge floodlight removed and replaced by "10w" generic LED flood that more often than not ends up strobing after a few weeks...
RobTDCI

Postby RobTDCI » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:31 pm

A local chip shop that replaced 3 x 8ft pop packs with 6 compact fluorescent in bayonet batten holders.
OsramAwesomness2

Postby OsramAwesomness2 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:05 pm

A furniture shop that had twin tube Fitzgerald fixtures and x1 8ft fluro all replaced for LED 5w flood lights and I tried not to piss myself laughing ;rfl
Account not in use
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:11 am

A branch of toolstation where they've replaced the halide lowbays with LED floods hanging on chains. Looks awful. That's the one that immediately comes to mind.
Bad choices make good stories!

Return to “Hall of Shame”