Why LED is flooding the market - My theory anyhow

Any sort of discussion to do with any lighting whether it be vintage to modern!
amtrakuk

Why LED is flooding the market - My theory anyhow

Postby amtrakuk » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:10 am

The gimmick is like a steam roller. It wont stop until every last stone has been turned and an LED version will be produced, promoted and sold, meaning they can knock out the original as old and dated technology - I wouldn't be surprised they aren't trying to make an LED high temperature oven lamp - Oh they have - http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/o ... 97571.html Now this is a blatant Band Waggon / Fad. The inefficiencies of an oven lamp are cancelled out as the heat given off only goes towards heating the oven. But you can guarantee people will buy into it.

Anyhow China is so overstocked with Steel they can't sell, they have thousands of Steel workers (29,900 employees for Angang steel alone) and there's 38 other steel companies in China according to Wikipedia. So these guys have to flood the world market with the latest fad - LED lighting. I'm not totally up on cultural differences but I suspect the Chinese culture is work work work which means they have to be producing something, infiltrating every corner of the lighting market at any cost to satisfy their built-in demand for making and selling stuff and whilst there is a market for LED lighting they will fill it.

The marketing has been spot of. First lets use CFLs as the whipping boy. Flood the market with them knowing they aren't great but we have the ban on incandescent which forces people to use them. Once the CFL wave has been complete, lets get a few people to recognise their limitations, once it has been generally established CFLs aren't as good as they are made out to be lets introduce the saviour - LED lighting. It's just as efficient but addresses all the complaints people had with CFLs. Its what keeps interest up and drives the market forward.

In computer terms its whats commonly accepted Microsoft did with Windows. Interest was flagging so we'll produce such a buggy version (Windows Vista) and once that's been distributed and people complain about it, In comes the saviour - Windows 7 which is what Windows Vista should have been.

LED lighting won't stop development until someone comes up with something else to take the focus else ware.
AngryHorse

Re: Why LED is flooding the market - My theory anyhow

Postby AngryHorse » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:25 pm

The reason we`re loosing all the old stuff though, is down to the greedy, (once great), western companies, selling their soul to China for cheap labour!
Cast your mind back to the late 70s, early 80s, when `Made in Taiwan`, was a symbol of dangerous goods which the UK industry told us all the "stay away from", and "buy British", how quickly that was forgotten!!

Nobody cares about their reputation today, as long as corporation fat cats can make more profit from poor products made with cheap labour, the end user just dosen`t matter anymore!
Welcome to OBLIVION
amtrakuk

Re: Why LED is flooding the market - My theory anyhow

Postby amtrakuk » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:08 pm

Actually I had forgotten of "Made in Taiwan" your right. I remember "Made in Japan" too. But your right, it is now the world market and China is open for business. No matter if its a dinner plate or a Nuclear Power station. They will make whatever you want.

It seems because of the likes of China coupled with the total lack of interest the government has in investing in UK Industry its only going to get worse. Just wait Farming will be next!

Anyhow fitting a couple of English S.P.L Ballasts to the Simplex before it goes back up replacing the baked Tridonics when The Radar has finished painting the kitchen ceiling ;)

Return to “General Lighting Discussion”