Yes
12%
No
88%

Total votes: 17
AngryHorse

Re: LED streetlights, yes or no..?

Postby AngryHorse » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:29 pm

Dunno what lanterns they are using in your area rich but the ones I have seen have been shite, Plymouth for example. Personally cosmo wins hands down against LED imo!
Holophane V-Max, Philips Uni-Street, and Lena Rubycon's are the most used here, with a handful of Ampera's, though Cheshire East seems to have stopped using these now?
Welcome to OBLIVION
FrontSideBus

Postby FrontSideBus » Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:15 pm

I'd probably change my vote to a yes now tbh.
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:19 pm

IMG_8025.jpeg
Here’s a good example, these are Lena Rubycons just outside of our town, they’re a budget lantern but do a good job along here.
Their diodes are in the form of two defused blocks giving a softer light on the road.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome to OBLIVION
Oliver

Postby Oliver » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:35 pm

The snow does make the LED lanterns appear brighter however, they do seem to have a good light spread. Many of the ones near me are spaced too far apart which results in lots of dark patches. A road on our estate which was recently changed to LED was previously a single Beta 79. 3 columns with LED lanterns installed replaced it and the light quality is reasonably good as they are close together.
Slyspark

Postby Slyspark » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:51 pm

I'm still on the fence here, as it's not as simple as a yes or no. Granted, there are some very good lanterns out there now, that do a decent job of lighting the road and are a decent colour, BUT, there's plenty of garbage too. If councils and other bodies actually knew something about lighting in terms of colour and what's decent and what's crap, I might be more in favour. I'd also like it a lot more if you could service it, but the vast majority of LED strrrtlighting is still based on a sealed fitting with nothing you can actually repair.
Bad choices make good stories!
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:32 pm

I’m going to explain what made me take the above photo ;cheers , this was taken at 7:14 am on the 16th of January this year, along Birch Lane just outside of our town, and behind me to the left is Spittle Hill where we used to go sledding in the Christmas holidays in the late 70s.

Every year back then you could pretty much guarantee snow, and we, (the neighbourhood kids), would always get in from school, have tea, then be off sledding around town under our mercury street lighting that we had back then.
The scene above while cycling to work on this morning, stopped me in my tracks and took me back to those nights! ;clap

And although my iPhone makes the Rubycons look 3000K, they are indeed closer to mercury at 4000!
I got this overwhelming feeling of my childhood, in the snow, out with all the kids from our street as we used to do, under the mercury lamps, and all those great memories came back!, just with seeing white street lighting in the snow!, this is why I say in the other thread, I sort of welcome white street lighting again.
Welcome to OBLIVION
dor123

Postby dor123 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:16 pm

All of the 150W HPS AEG Triangel in my street at Kiryat Benjamin has been replaced by 3000K 97W LED lanterns:

Pictures of the street with its former AEG Triangel 150W HPS:
I love see run-up and hot restrike of HID lamps, mainly on timed ignitors, and spectra of metal halide lamps.
AngryHorse

Postby AngryHorse » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:34 pm

3000 K looks awesome for street lighting, nearly all replacements here are now 3000 K, but our town are still on the 4000s installed 8 years ago.
Welcome to OBLIVION
dor123

Postby dor123 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:39 pm

Haifa uses 5000K and 6000K. Only their Schreder Teceo 2 are 4000K.
I love see run-up and hot restrike of HID lamps, mainly on timed ignitors, and spectra of metal halide lamps.
Kev

Postby Kev » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:41 am

Cornwall council is going full 3000k everywhere. The things I don’t like are pretty much inline with rich a, however what I will add is the early LED lanterns were somewhat hit and miss in terms of reliability and somewhat unserviceable but the newer ones do seem reliable like totally. This is not good for installers and maintainers like me. We need repeat work to keep us going at least with good old HID you know you have a job - lamps need changing even if some of the cosmo lamps do last up to 10 years most won’t. With LED who knows when you will return?

Return to “LED Lighting”