'Traffic Signal' Lamps

Any sort of discussion to do with any lighting whether it be vintage to modern!
Slyspark

'Traffic Signal' Lamps

Postby Slyspark » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:46 pm

So, I get an e-mail from my local wholesalers today, listing all the new products they've got in this Jan. One section is listed as 'Traffic Signal' Lamps. This comprises of:

GLS in 40, 60 & 100w (pearl and clear) in both BC anbd ES caps

Candle Lamps in 25, 40 & 60w (pearl & clear) in BC, SBC & SES caps

Golf Ball Lamps in 25, 40 & 60w (pearl & clear) in BC, SBC & SES caps

R39 Reflector Spots in 25 & 40w, SES

So much for the EU ban on filament lamps. I'm not sure how many of the above lamps are genuinely used in traffic signals, but a novel way around the ban! Better still, these are not those 'Eco-Halogen' crap things, these look just like the traditional lamps from 10yrs back with regular filaments. Maybe if we start making 'Traffic Sign' Fluorescents, we could bring back all the T12 tubes too?
Bad choices make good stories!
Ash

Re: 'Traffic Signal' Lamps

Postby Ash » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:15 pm

Currently most of our traffic signals are LED, but the ones before them indeed used those traffic signal E27 lamps

The lamps were of the Osram SIG1541/1543/1546 series. Clear K shape lamp, /\/\/\ filament inside. When they were relamping the traffic lights (~once a year) they were just throwing the lamps into the nearest bush, so most of the time the lamps survived the fall. I have found 60, 75, 100W ones. (i guess they use higher wattages in lights that are positioned in front of sunrise or sunset, and possibly higher power lamp for the Red)

They would last very long in GLS service, but they also provide less light and the light color is yellower

Return to “General Lighting Discussion”